ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Spray Variation adjustments lagging

Spray Variation adjustments lagging

Hello,

I've a relatively fast machine (and clean system) so I virtually don't experience any slowdowns with AR. However, I've noticed that when I create stickers (in this case, just a single sticker sheet), the size of the sticker incurs a performance penalty on the little knobs in the Spray Variation window, when I try to adjust them. This means, that when I drag up/down on the knobs, they adjust incredibly slow when the sticker is bigger, but they respond fast when the sticker is small.

EXAMPLE:
    I have the following 3 stickers created. All of them are just single sticker sheet.

You can see that "Splat 02" is nearly 5 times bigger than "Splat 01", and "Splat 01" is nearly 4 times bigger than "Splat".

When I load each, their preview at 100% in the tool picker shows as follows:

Splat:

Splat 01:

Splat 02:

When "Splat" is loaded (this is the smallest) and its size is set to 100%, when you adjust the little knobs in the Spray Variation window, the knobs respond to the adjustments almost instantaneously. They are very snappy and responsive. However, when I load "Splat 02" (the biggest) and adjust the knobs in the Spray Variation window, the knobs start lagging really bad. When you try turning the knobs, you have to wait maybe half a second or more until they "catch up".

However, when I have the big sticker (Splat 02 in this case) loaded AND I turn down it's size from 100% to, say, 20% then the knobs in the Spray Variation window become responsive and snappy again.

The same behavior can be noticed when, instead of changing the tool size percentage in the Tool Palette, you change the Spray Rate value in the Setting Palette. Setting the Spray Rate value to high (such as 100%) makes the Spray Variation window knobs start lagging behind, and setting the Spray Rate value low improves the response of the knobs dramatically.

So the size of the sticker itself (and it's current size percentage setting) is influencing the responsiveness of the knobs in the Spray Variation window.

Is this some sort of bug that could be investigated?
    Last edited by pentool; 08-07-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    --LES

The lag is coming from the program generating the preview stroke you see within the Tool Panel window. I guess ArtRage is trying to display a new preview with each nudge of the percentage dials, causing it to bog down with the bigger sticker calculations. Minimizing the Tool panel into it's Pod form increases performance, but then you won't see how the sticker is changing.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

We'll be looking in to the lag there for an update, there are a few things we can do to help the situation.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    The lag is coming from the program generating the preview stroke you see within the Tool Panel window.
    Thanks for the response, but I think you misunderstood. I was not talking about the lag in the Tool Palette preview.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We'll be looking in to the lag there for an update, there are a few things we can do to help the situation.
    Great, thanks Matt!
    --LES

Quote Originally Posted by pentool View Post
    Thanks for the response, but I think you misunderstood. I was not talking about the lag in the Tool Palette preview.
    Yes, I understand the lag wasn't in Tool palette window, but rather the dials of the variations panel. If you close the Tool palette window and try adjusting the dials in the Variations panel, you'll see what I mean.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.