ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Random crashouts

Random crashouts

No help at all for debugging, but I get spontaneous freezes in ArtRage. I've had about 3 now, where I'll be happily drawing away, and it just stops. Then a Windows 7 message reports the error, "look for a solution" option.

I can't think of anything I'm doing particularly. This last time it was after maybe half an hour, drawing lots of penstrokes with low transparency. Another time I've been painting with the Oil brush.

Is there any debug reporting log I could pass on to help track instabilities?

edit : Actually it is a pattern, though not one I can reproduce on demand. It comes when I'm trying to add some freckles, it's just happened again, tapping little spots with the Pencil tool. This has been after painting and penning, but was the activity that cuased the freak-outs. However, it doesn't happen always, and in an attempt to recreate the problem with a quick reproduction of my drawing technique, I could happily spot away with the pencil without ArtRage freezing.

At the moment I'm thinking it has something to do with Windows 7's touch interface shortcuts. Sometimes I see the Window's touch ring as if it's expecting some touch interface command. I'll disable that for now.
    Last edited by Shifty Geezer; 08-07-2010 at 08:21 AM.

If the application is crashing and you see any option to report this to Microsoft, selecting that option will let us see exactly what was happening at the time. If turning off Touch doesn't help, let us know and we'll see if there is any data pending from the crashes and look in to it. Thanks for letting us know!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

No crashes so far since disabling Windows 7 flicks in the control panel, so I think that's the culprit and solution should anyone end up searching for a fix.

Thanks for the update, it's always good to have details on the solutions to these things, it lets us look for ways to work around it in the future. Glad to hear it works!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Alas, it hasn't fixed it. I've just had another crashout drawing freckles, tapping the same point a few times. I'd been painting some 30 minutes using pen, rubber, undo, and lots of layers, adding and deleting. Then I started pencilling in freckles and it froze out after a few. Windows looked for a solution but gave no option to report this to MS, and restarted ArtRage immediately. I save just before drawing freckles just-in-case and upon reloading, could add freckles without problem.

I appreciate this can't really be addressed without debug info, and as long as I save it's something I can accomodate. Just one of those bugs!

Incidentally I'm using a WACOM Graphire version 2 I think. The driver sometimes doesn't load on boot and won't load on reinserting the USB cable, and I have to restart Windows, so I wouldn't put it past being a driver issue which clearly isn't perfect.

Thanks for the update. If you're getting that sort of behavior with the tablet software, while it might not be related, it would be worthwhile downloading the latest driver from wacom's website, uninstalling your current tablet driver, restarting your computer and installing the one you downloaded to see if that helps the situation and the driver loading problem.

If that doesn't help, please let me know the tool settings you're using for the pencil, and also your settings under Edit -> Preferences -> Input. You can email me directly at support@artrage.com.

Thanks for sending the information to Microsoft, it's definitely worthwhile doing, as the more reports they get, the more likely we are to be able to access debug information.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design