ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Broad Leaf sticker spray?

Broad Leaf sticker spray?

I'm not sure i'm understanding this, but when i choose the Sticker Spray and try something like "Sheet->BrushHead->Art Brush 8", i find that the brush will rotate while i use it.

Well, i'd like to find one that does this as a simple BroadLeaf brush.
    While i know there is a "Leaves" in there and Curly Leaves, they are actually too detail for what i'm looking for.

To try to explain what i'm doing, i'm trying to add a leafy tree, but in a very painterly style. If i could get a "BroadLeaves" sort of StickerSpray, that would rotate and change when i use it, then i could brush on a layer of "leaves", in one hue, then go over it again with another layer in a lighter hue. Then i could followup with some fairly simple brush work to add in detail as desired.

Anybody know of any resources i could use?

When you're selecting a "sheet", you're applying stickers from a sticker sheet to a specific Sticker Spray preset. For example, if you follow the steps below...

1. Select the Sticker Tool.
    2. Open the Preset Panel.
    3. Select the Chain preset from the Fun Brushes category in the Preset Panel.
    4. Now open the Settings Panel.
    5. Select the Art Brush 8 sticker from Sheet menu in the Settings panel
      • Sheet > BrushHead > Art Brush 8

... and then tried out the Sticker Spray tool, you should find that it creates a line like the one in the image below.

Name:  brush8_1.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  56.0 KB

Now, if you follow these next steps...

1. Select the Sticker Tool.
    2. Open the Preset Panel.
    3. Select the Tree Shrub preset from the Nature Stamps category in the Preset Panel.
    4. Open the Settings Panel and select the Art Brush 8 sticker from Sheet menu.
      • Sheet > BrushHead > Art Brush 8

...and test the Sticker Spray, you'll find that the stroke reacts very differently (see image below).

Name:  brush8_2.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  52.6 KB

The difference comes from the presets use of the Variations Panel to tweak the settings of the Spray. In the image below you can see the differences between each presets variations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush8_3.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	47129

By changing these variations you can create your own style of stroke for the sticker sheet selected and save it as your own preset in the preset panel (for more information on this, please read through this tutorial).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I am soooo glad to have this information. Thanks.

Is there any way I can control the angle of sticker spray? For example, the leaves, how can I know what the next one is going to look like? Thanks. A screen shot is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaves Screen Shot.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	47180  

Hi Jasminek,

You'll want to edit the dial in the Stroke Direction column and Rotation row, to tweak the stickers to follow the direction you're drawing in. The way the sticker is created plays a roll in how one sets the dials, because it requires they be pointed in the correct direction. The Curled Leaf sticker you are using in your example is another of the stickers I created and one I purposely made sure to set up for use in the Sticker Spray. Note how the leaves on the sheet are all set up so they point off to the left (see sticker sheet in the image below). Since they are aligned horizontally, one can make them follow a strokes direction by increasing the Stroke Direction dial in the Rotation row to 100%. This gives you a stroke that works like you see in Line A of the image below. Now, if you were to change the Base Value dial in the Rotation row to 50% and make a line, you'll find that the sticker will be laid down in the reverse direction, as shown in Line B in image below.

Name:	leaflines.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	47182

Hi,

I really appreciate your answer. At this time I cannot find the "Stroke Direction dial in the Rotation" and have to spend more time looking. I have the studio version, does that have something to do with incapability of finding the Dial?

Again, your answer is appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    Hi,

I really appreciate your answer. At this time I cannot find the "Stroke Direction dial in the Rotation" and have to spend more time looking. I have the studio version, does that have something to do with incapability of finding the Dial?

Again, your answer is appreciated?

Hello again Jasminek,

I believe only ArtRage Studio Pro allows users to create Stickers and Sticker Spray Presets, which includes the editing of the variations for them. If you have the option, you would find the options by first selecting the Sticker Spray Tool, then opening the Settings Panel and then clicking on the Spray Variations button located there (see image below). If your version doesn't have this option, you can download and use new presets and stickers, but you won't be able to make changes to them.

Name:	var1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	47206
    Last edited by Someonesane; 08-09-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Thanks so much for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    Thanks so much for the answer.
    No problem. Were you able to find it okay?

No, I will need to upgrade to Pro. This ability to create stickers and control many things really excite me though. Thanks again.