ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: lost painting

lost painting

Could anyone tell me if they have ever lost a painting, I just did, almost finished and it disapeared, I saved it many times in between paintings and I cant figure out what happened to it, anyone has information on this problem please let me know

Pat, I'm assuming ArtRage crashed?
    If you saved it, you should still have the last session
    regardless of the crash.
    Not sure how it works on a Mac, but if you are running windows, do a search for .ptg files, or the name it was saved under, if you remember what it was.
    I found one after a crash that had not been saved, by going to c/program files/ambient design, opened it up and there was some sort of a recovery file there (cannot remember what it was called - just open up anything that looks likely).
    Hope this helps.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Hi Barnburner, thanks for your reply, I tried everything but no luck yet, will try a few more things and maybe when I start computer tomorrow it may pop up, but thanks again, will let you know if I get it back, if not will start all over again lol

Sorry to hear the computer gremlins feasted on your work Pat

I believe the file is called 'ar3restart.ptg' and should be located in your user folder somewhere ...can't verify for sure though as artrage 3 is stable on my machine and I haven't managed to crash a released version.

(windows only, if you're on a mac I'm not sure a temp file is generated ... there wasn't for ar2)
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I'd recommend doing a search of your system for the name of the painting file. ArtRage doesn't have the ability to delete a painting file so if it's been saved without problems and providing the file is undamaged, you should be able to reopen it.

If you can't find your painting, let us know:

1/ What operating system you're using
    2/ What version of ArtRage you're using
    3/ What the last thing you saw was before you lost your painting e.g. During saving your work at the end of a session, a crash occured.
    4/ What location you normally saved it to, as well as the name of the painting and if you were saving it via file -> export what image format you were using.
    5/ How you normally opened the painting to continue working on it

This should help us to give some more specific advice.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Juz and Dave, well I found my file in my AR paintings but when I open it in AR the canvas shows up blank, it shows that the folder has 727 kb in it so I know the painting is still there,....
    Dave... I have windows xp professional, have AR3 pro and as far as what I did is just save file and quit same as usual and I always open up in AR...I quess I will just start my painting over, no big deal, more experience lol
    Anyway thanks for your replies from all of you, really appreciate it...Have a great painting day....I intend to

If files are acting up like that, make sure you're fully backed up, it might be the HD dying.

Thanks for the details. Sorry to hear that your work is opening up blank. If you'd like to email the file to me at support@artrage.com we can take a look at it for you to see it anything can be recovered.

One thing I tend to do when working with software is to save multiple copies of my work over time e.g. painting1.ptg, then painting2.ptg , so that if anything happens to my latest file there's a good chance I can go back to an earlier version. Just thought I'd mention that in case it's of some help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Caveman, I do backup all my paintings and important stuff, I dont really think it is my hd because not having any other problems with comp, thanks for your reply, have a nice painting day

Dave, thanks for the advise on saving file that way...good idea, I will do that when I have a real good painting going on...I think I already deleated that file but if it happens again will let you know....thanks for all your help