ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cat that became a dog and the start of my book - feel free to comment

The cat that became a dog and the start of my book - feel free to comment

This sketch page is titled 'started as a cat but became my dog'.
    I copied the cat design from a book that I am working from and flipped it to draw as I usually do and was going to turn it into a page of expressions. BUT as it happens I was listening to a pod cast about becoming a free lance illustrator and 'I thought I want to write a childrens book' I then thought 'why shouldn't I !' I have my target audience my own son I'll write a book for him.

So I have decided to work on a little Desk top book. Each time I change the desk top picture it will be a page of my book, I'll also post it online here as well.

Ok I was doing the next sketch of the cat (aiming to change the expressions) and my mind was playing with possible ideas. I thought hum maybe I could use the squirrel from earlier in my sketch book but I thought not really personal to me or my son when suddenly I saw my Huskey cross dog taking shape in the sketch so he's going to be the star of my little computer book. I'll post a progress diary for the book here on this thread.

I'll show all my sketches and how I formulate my ideas

I like the Chibi Barney best needs a little polish to work though. The little design on the teeshirt is a representaion of the marking that appears on my dogs chest.

Feel free to comment and my main sketch book/study book can be found here

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=29552
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Started as a cat became my dog.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	47019  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chibi J; 08-01-2010 at 02:49 PM.

What is the book about

Ok my book idea is a counting book that goes past ten. The reason for this idea is because the books in the book shops only really go to ten and my little lad can do that with confidence he could do with something that counts to higher numbers in sequence that is fun to look at as he is only just approching 3.

The way this will be presented is Barney will build a structure using building blocks and at the side will be a tally of blocked used.

This is just a page of rough ideas and things I need to reaserch

Name:	What is the book about.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	47060  
    Last edited by Chibi J; 08-02-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Tonights chip away at my book is looking at possible block tower designs.

Name:	03 Block towers.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	47075  

Story board

Ok here is a story board of what is going to happen in the book just done in little sketches showing the progression of Barney Dogs structure.

My original thoughts when thinking of the book was to do a symmetrical stucture but when I did the stucture page I quite liked the asymmetrical one, So thats the one I went for.

I have tried to make each panel unique ie if he is carrying a block it is a different shape or he is bringing it on in a variety of methods.

For my next stages in my book development I intend :-

to refine the Barney Character looking at his overal shape and style, how to position hims and how to vary his expressions.

to look closly at my little boys building blocks to get the sizes right.

Name:	Story board.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	47146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Story board 2.JPG 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	47147  

Ok on character development now this is a yay nay moment. I have a few constants in each one Barneys eyebrow markings and a tee shirt with his bow marking. Still undecided on which to use. I think its a sleep on it and look at it tomorrow and run it by the hubby sort of thing.

Name:	Barney dog .JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	47241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barney dog 2.JPG 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	47242  

I think I might go for this one. Sketch scanned in and painted in artrage
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ok I have settled on a style for Barney. So now for the next few nights I will be doing pages of positions and expressions until I am drawing this pooch of mine consitantly

Name:	Barney dog Development page.JPG 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	47264  

Dear Chibi, what a wonderful idea, your drawings are terrific!!! the idea of counting castle blocks is so easy to understand, hope you do well. best wishes!!! ps.there was and still is, i think, a very popular childrens tv show called Barney the Purple Dinosaur, that name seems to be very popular,,,,,

Barney is the name of my pooch (I didn't name him he came with the name) as I am doing this for my Toddler I decided to go with what is Familier.

Thank you for the encouragement This project is a lot more complicated than I first anticipated as I want the drawings to be of a resonable quality, the time needed for actual research for it (how people look while climbing, jumping and such) and planning layout ect

I hope soon to have the First page of Barney Dog counts done in the next week or so. Title may be subject to change LOL

Working on expressions to get the feel for Barney Dog so when I come to draw the book I know how Barney moves and can draw him consitantly.

Name:	11 Barney expressions.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	47436