ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Grainy look to work

Grainy look to work

Hi

I'm finding that at some point (after quitting and re-opening a file I've been working on), the whole image becomes slightly grainy. Is it something I'm doing?

The periphery of the sphere is done using pencil, and the rest using pencil and chalk. This graininess isn't there when I'm working on the image. It's there in the .ptg file, and the attached png illustrates.

Thanks
    Catherine

(I'm new to AR)
    OS X 10.5 | Wacom P&T | Artrage 2.8
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are you working at 100% zoom level? If you've zoomed out at all some of the fine detail may not be visible while you are painting. Chalk will leave some paper grain in there as it applies, but that can be hidden if you're working at smaller than 100% size.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

No, no zooming. I'll pay more attention to when I'm opening and closing the app and see if I can detail when it happens.

Thanks for the reply.

try saving versions of your .ptg files. Maybe you could find the solution to your problem that way? Also - to me it looks like the grain I would get when working with chalk or crayons on Plain paper.

Also try looking at your paper settings for each layer (if you use layers) - might me a problem happening if you use different paper textures on several layers.

I'm saving different versions, and it hasn't recurred so far.

I did change the paper settings so that's a likely reason. I don't think its the brush type, because it's consistent over the entire piece and a lot of it was done with just pencil.

For now I'll put it down to excessive messing/learning.

Thanks again.

Cool. Just remembered that on AR3 there are two places for texture.

1. Is the Canvas grain: Tools... Layer Options... Canvas Settings. Click the menu button... Choose Canvas grain.
    2. Is the individual layer. Show layer panel (View... Layer Panel). Hoover a layer. It'll show four buttons (starting with an eye). Click the menu button at the right... Edit Layer Texture... If it shows Use Canvas Texture [V] - then its the same as the above. But if you somehow have chosen another texture - then you will experience different strokes on different layers. Chalk is a tool that shows the texture tooth very clearly.