ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Color profiles and maintaining colors

Color profiles and maintaining colors

As a professional graphic designer I use color profiles all of the time. My monitor is calibrated. Now I wondered what color profile AR uses. I tried to open some color samples made with Photoshop in AR and also vice versa: Colors are sligthly different, no matter if I do not use a color profile or use "sRGB IEC61966-2.1", "eciRGB v2" or my monitor profile.

Is there a possibility to maintain exact colors moving from AR to Photoshop and conversely?

The good news are that the colors made in PS opened in AR as imported file and saved again and then opened in PS again remain the same. Only in AR they are different.

If I paint a bright red (255 0 0) in AR and open it in PS it is not 255 0 0 but 255 5 5. I could not manage to maintain the colors.

Below the values of colors made with PS measured in AR with the "precise pipette" (I hope that's the English name of this tool):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It might have something to do with the way ArtRages uses 3D light source rendering (which is used to give details to the brush strokes and the canvas textures, etc). Try turning off the 3D light source and see if the same shift occurs.

To turn off the lighting:

1. Create a new painting
    2. Click on View and select Canvas Settings
    3. Click the Light Bulb icon tab to toggle the lighting off

Here's a screen shot of the steps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	togglelight.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	46721
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    It might have something to do with the way ArtRages uses 3D light source rendering (which is used to give details to the brush strokes and the canvas textures, etc). Try turning off the 3D light source and see if the same shift occurs.
    No, now there is no shift. Again: Many thanks for this very useful hint!