ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce

This speech was given to his Nez Perce sub-chiefs by Chief Joseph, after his brilliant and courageous attempt to lead his tribe to Canada, in an effort to
    keep them from starving on a reservation. During this escape journey of over 1,000 miles, moving old men, women, kids, he fought off the U.S. Calvary until his tribe was worn down by the weather and the fighting just short of the border.

After putting so much into my last painting "sanctuary",
    I was totally intent on going in a new direction on my next painting. For two days I tried, but the speech of
    Chief Joseph kept running thru my mind. Finally, I gave in, and in probably no more than 30 minutes, it was done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chief Joseph2.jpg 
Views:	1184 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	46556  
    Last edited by barnburner; 07-16-2010 at 08:25 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Very moving mate.. You would be surprised how many of us Brits hold the Native American culture in a kind of reverence... It's as if we are catching up with the idea of treating the world we live with respect.... but a few hundred years too late.

a great tribute to a brave people, I'd like to think it wasn't still happening

Very beautiful, Barnburner

Fraser - You are correct. I was surprised to hear that a lot of Brits are interested in the Native American culture. That's good to know. Unfortunately, we across the Pond, haven't learned the lessons any better, about taking care of the land and giving back.
    Thank you.

Sandy - Thank you. Much appreciated.

Eighty - It would be nice to be able to say that all the mistreatment of the Native Americans is over, but unfortunately, it's not. Thanks!

Pat - Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by barnburner; 07-16-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Dear Barnburner, apartheid exists, what to do what to do,,,,,,,,,,,,,

what to do ? what to do ? Lee nothing as most like being blinkered

Lee and Eighty - Thank you for your comments.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

This new tribute is really moving, if we just stand on this chief's feet. Nez Percés = Pierced Noses

I can perfectly understand the view of this great, brave and wise leader ...
    The various aboriginal Americans societies and Northern American tribes in particulars, were not just bunches of proudly dumb warriors ready to fight and sacrifice just to show their value or make their dirty duty divorcing often from intelligence to fanatism (as it may happen to some stupid, professional and specialized corps or job today). They were a nation organised to live together in their country, who eventually loved and cared of it and of their people.
    This makes a difference when it comes the time when You have to wonder whether it's better to surrender and survive somehow, in a possibly worthwhile life condition, or suicide in a hopeless fight eventually causing also the genocide of all Your beloved relativs and people ... An absolutely terrible situation, impossible to understand until war is taken where You actually live ...

Anyway it's now probably too late to find a real non-folkloristic solution in terms of a shared self-governed future for the native nations in U.S., when everywhere else too a number of dominant style of lives, models and arrogances seem to rule often according to vain aims and concrete greed.
    Here in Italy, where situation bets worser and worser too in terms of ethical and social responsibility and attitudes, we were lucky to be timely and wise enough to rule so as to let minority cultures and languages elaborate autonomous administrative and business models in regions like Valle d'Aosta, Trentino Alto Adige etc. overcoming past problems. The solutions we adopted apparently became also a good indication for the Dalhai Lama to propose a regional authonomy of Tibet and settle the situation within China boundaries. It's just a pity Chinese government is too worried nad tied by too much excessively pragmatical aims, threats and doctrines so that it has not an idealistic enogh approach and vision to realize a long-term wisdom that weights also weak signals and factors apparently minor ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!