Thread: Another portrait

Gallery
    View images

Another portrait

I spent a bit more time getting to know ArtRage tonight and produced this drawing of a friend in about 3 hours. It was a bit of a melancholy experience as the friend is my best and is currently halfway around the world in Taipei teaching local students English. Hope you like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    :shock: this one is nice... love especialy the eyes they're masterfuly done... and he looks very naturally and real!

Greez

maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    isolationism........Great picture....he looks a real nice guy,well painted and very well portrayed eyes....Portraiture is the most difficult of Art to do ,and get right....A lot of artists cant do it ......Me for instance...well done.......Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    lovely portrait! I agree that the eyes are well-done. Great job also on the facial hair. ~sentinel

Gallery
    View images
    This is really really well done. You have a knack for portraits.

Knowing a little about the subject is very helpful to me because I am impressed by what he's doing and I look for that quality in the painting.

I'm trying to overlay that generosity of spirit onto that sorta strong, maybe even tough looking visage. It's in the eyes that you got the soul.

In reality, he's a big man in more ways than one.

Great painting. I'll bet he would be flattered.

Gallery
    View images
    yeh very well done potrait, i can see youve been doing potraits for a while
    he looks realaxed
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Everybody, thanks for the very kind comments on the painting. Since some comments were similar I'll reply as a sort of open letter if you don't mind.

I've never been especially good at portraiture using traditional materials (my favourite subject has always been the nude human figure). However, I discovered some time ago that working digitally lets me layer paint to get the effect I want without the drawbacks of traditional media (thick layers of paint/unwanted impasto, long drying times, etc.).

As a few people have observed, eyes are pretty difficult -- I have a terrible time with them, myself; this is probably the one element that working digitally helps me with the most -- because they're so small and detailed, and a thick layer of paint (or other evidence of heavy rework) stands out like a sore thumb. My dream is to one day be able to paint them right on the first few strokes, but I think it's probably safe to assume that's some ways away still.

I believe painting subjects close to your heart makes a world of difference in how you treat them, and it seems clear I'm not alone in this belief. It sounds as though the right emotions have come through the piece, which is gratifying; as an artist I think I have the hardest time deciding whether I captured that intangible quality or not on my own, and I appreciate your feedback to that effect immensely.

I think he would like the piece just knowing I was thinking of him and happy times spent together as I worked on it. Whether he'd like it for its artistic merit (or not) I'll just have to wait.

Thanks again, everybody!

Gallery
    View images
    isolationism really great portrait work, agree with other posters looks like you've captured the guy really well in all aspects ..................nice one indeed

Gallery
    View images

hi.

thats a very well done work isolationism...i like your palette....
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Gallery
    View images
    That's a fantastic portrait. You caputre real character.
    Awesome stuff.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"