ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July Tug of War

4th of July Tug of War

These guys were participating in a tug of war contest at Ardenwood's Independence Day Celebration in Northern California. On the other side was a big bunch of ladies -- and the ladies won, yeeah!

This is my first try in AR at painting watercolor. I traced/painted off of my original photo in AR but it was prepped and finalized (color adjustments) in Photoshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great painting.
    Where I can learn this technique of watercolor? Thanks

Watercolor is very difficult. Is it your first painting in AR. Really? You are a good painter. I never had a courage to try that method.

Wow! If you did this in your first try with the WC tool we can expect other great posts from you.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Thanks for your interested comments, guys. I hover over the computer once I post something, waiting for responses with my fingers crossed.

Tom!, I have the same mindset, watercolor is very difficult. But I just jumped in and things seemed to work out.

Bob Row, I knew I shouldn't have made that comment that this was my first watercolor in AR. Now I've got to overcome that great expectations feeling or I'll never try another... Believe me, when I went to bed after finishing this one, I was a very happy camper at the way it had come out.

javier, I just punted on this one, plodding along in my slow meticulous way. No specific tutorials. Here's what I did. I imported a photo, did a detailed trace over the people (zoomed in to 200%) with the ink pen to give me some lines to paint within, then used the preset wet on wet watercolor brush (altering the thinner setting to 25%) to paint on a new layer with "Automatically choose colors from tracing image". For the background I created a new layer below the others and did the wet on wet brush preset again but at 100% size, then went back over it with the watercolor brush preset to "just water" to smear everything in the background. The AR thinned colors were somewhat faded so I imported the file into Photoshop to bring the colors up (used auto tone and auto contrast color adjustment).
    Last edited by marcialsj; 07-08-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Really outstanding work.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Excellent work Marcialsj, energy in the painting as well as in the tug of war. Well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

I like the action here, the fresh summery glow in the air and the wc style is very good. Marcia, you be proud of yourself...and stay a happy camper for a long time...:-) it is realy very nice picture...

You made a wondeful, artful painting out of Your picture, dear mate.
    I'm not at all surprised the ladies eventually won. Once You give them the possibilities, they statistically have many more ways and resources to get the prize and, like the sailor, to enjoy them, You don't have to oppose, but joyfully follow Your own path considering and flying on their wind .... There are so many places and destinations where mere brute force or simple deductive logics cannot lead You ....
    Last edited by Caesar; 07-08-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!