ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: scissors & glue = collage! decoupage!

scissors & glue = collage! decoupage!

hello,

using ArtRage the other day I really wished I could cut up the image and paste bits of it into a different painting. So what I thought of was that it would be nice to have a drawer in which I could store clipped out images.
    Cutting the image would use the scirssors tool (or an exacto knife) and then place the clipping into the drawer. One can save different drawers containing groups of clippings. So then you open the drawer and place a clipping onto the current canvas. You can move it around, place it where you like and then stick it down with the glue (or leave it on a floating layer? (okay, the glue is just there to make the metaphor complete, but its wonderful that you guys have this phisical art materials metaphor!))

Anyway, a fantasy feature. Any plans for anything sorta like this?

Hmmmm.... Interesting thoughts.
    Cut 'n' paste are features we're hoping to add to another release. From a programming perspective (that's my specialty) you're talking about clip-art management.
    I'll put a note on the whiteboard (our repository for features to talk about) and see what MattRage says about it.

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

cool that you guys will consider it.
    in addition, maybe one could choose the thickness of the paper the clipping is on... i mean, as if you cut the image from a thick cardboard or thin piece of paper. if its thick then it will be a bit raised from the canvas and you can maybe see the edge of it even after you've glued it down, if its thin then you will see-through it a little bit, something like that painting over the collaged in bits respects the height differences.
    what i'm trying to say is that it wouldn't necessarily be just a replacement metaphor for a photoshop-like cut and paste, but as a more art materials like cut and paste.

That's another interesting idea. I see what you're saying - doing more of a paper-art thing. Lay down scraps and shapes of paper and card to create an interesting surface for painting over.
    The glitter tool was a good test of a couple of technologies I want to explore down the line. One interesting side-effect is using the glitter tool to create a textured surface. If you choose a small glitter particle size, and lay down a lot of glitter, then add a new paper layer to paint on, the glitter texture affects the testure of the paint above.
    Okay, this will take some serious thoughtage, and the consumption of coffee.
    Thanks for that suggestion.

AndyRage.

Hi,

It sounds as if you need to incorporate a modified "jig-saw" program. But the pieces could be any shape. If it happens I would also use it.

I'll go along with that suggesttion. It would also be great if one could 'tear' the image and have raggy adges to the collage bits.

someone's gonna say "Sure ,how hard can it be? " :wink:
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by hanzz
    someone's gonna say "Sure ,how hard can it be? " :wink:
    Hell no. I did that last year and look where it got me.

AndyRage.

Sure, Andy Rage... How hard could it be???

But seriously... I'm LOVING this thread. It's making me think of all sorts of different ways for me to make art.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E