ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy and his Woodie

Buddy and his Woodie

Last weekend we had the event "Woodies on the Wharf" at Santa Cruz, and of course I had to travel over the hill from San Jose to check it out in the summer California sun. If you've ever heard anything by "The Beach Boys", you are right in the surfing tradition of Woodies. A woodie is a car -- usually a station wagon -- that has wooden sides to it. The surfing set back in the 1960's used to put their long surfing boards on top of their vehicle or sticking out its back window when they drove to the beach for a day of fun in the sun. Los Angeles made Gidget surfing movies, but the big surfboard culture as far as I am concerned was out in Santa Cruz with Steamer Lane and with Mavericks a bit up the coast. This "Woodies on the Wharf" event started out about 10 years ago with 20 cars showing at this big long Santa Cruz wharf, and now they are having over 200 cars parked on the wharf and mobs of people there -- men peering into open car hoods, women flashing gaudy jewelry, families wandering around, people fishing off the pier, and '60s music blaring out over the crowd.

This painting is of Buddy, who did surf when he was young, and of his Woodie, which is well taken care of after all these years. Alas, now the surf board has been put away forever, and it's sixpacks of beer that come out with him when he heads for the beach. But middle aged or not, the surfing tradition still LIVES!!

Photo was prepped in Photoshop and then painted in AR. Colors blocked in with thin oil brush on 1st layer, then made 2nd layer for details with normal 100% loaded oil brush. I haven't got the knack yet of differentiating between "painting loose" (what I want to do) and "painting sloppy". This one is fast and sloppy, but it kind of fits the subject matter so I just left it rough.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marcialsj; 07-01-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Bice picture, Marcia,i like the fresh, summer colors. Very vell done.

Sloppy is good! Very well done.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thanks, At-Ta and Jibes, for your comments. I always have good intentions, but I feel that at night when I have to scratch my art itch, I just never seem to have enough time to do justice to AR's capabilities so I'm only presenting half-baked artwork. But when I try to clean it up, it just gets muddier and less unified and the freshness is no longer there. Tell me that I'll work out of that, please!

Nice work, I like it!
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell

What a tremendouly good piece, dear mate! Wonderful style!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I like this, very good job.

Beautiful work my friend!! Very loose and vibrant!

Evart, Caesar, javier, and ZombeLunch, thank you so much for your kind comments. They really encourage me to keep showing what I do. Caesar, I guess you can call this type of artwork my "style", it's just naturally what I do when I just GOTTA paint something and I'm not trying to be meticulous. I've got two WIPs right now, one in oils and one in colored pencil, where I'm getting down to 300% zoom and am just relaxing and enjoying the detailed painting process bit by bit -- if I ever get finished with them, I'll post them here the the Gallery forum also.

I notice some people use one thread to post their work into -- which can get up into 10 - 20 pages long over time -- whereas other people start a new thread with each painting that they want to show. Any pros and cons comments on which might be the better way to go?
    Last edited by marcialsj; 07-01-2010 at 10:52 AM.

I really like this I am hopeless at portraites but your loose style shows how easy it should be. Absolutley brilliant.. well done Best wishes Jo x