ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Cream

Hand Cream

Hi all. :-)

I'm new around here and only using ArtRage for a few days now, but i just love it!

I work with oil for the most part but its summer now and my outdoor studio is just too hot to work in.

i was looking for a way to paint indoors and tried water colours and pencils which were fine for a while but i wanted something more close to oil.

then i looked at a friend's art piece done with ArtRage and from there the road to buying the software was very short :-)

I used the demo version at first because i had some trouble with my credit card and the online shop. but today i solved it and now i have the full featured sotware at hand.

this is my 5th painting, done with ArtRage and the best one overall so this is what i'll be showing now.

all comments are welcome.

i also wanted some advice with my signature. are there any tips for making a good signature? i can't seem to work this one out.
    so i left it out of my art works for now.

I'm glad to be here and glad to have found out about ArtRage.

best regards:

NumPad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cream2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	46056  

Welcome to the forums, NumPad. Painting commonplace objects is a great way to learn the software, but you'll find yourself becoming more ambitious fairly quickly. Probably the simplest way to make a consistent Sig is to make a stamp or stencil, though you'll have to make a new one each year.

thank you Docsmith for your reply.

it was quite easy to work with the ArtRage software on this piece.
    what i did was take a photo of the object with my digital camera, only making sure the lightning was okay, then get it on my computer and into Artrage and work on it directly. i find this method to work well for me at the moment. but i do sketch and draw on paper alot too.

i'm trying many new things that would be harder to do with traditional methods. ArtRage just gives me so much freedom to work anyway i want and get quick results and feedback.

this is why i'm loving it so much

also, can you please explain in more detail how to make the signiture the way you intended? i do have a graphic pen and tablet if that helps.

thank you for your help. it is most welcome.

regards:

NumPad.

hi numpad you've hit the nail on the head about more freedom artrage so easy to use, which was terific for old dum-dums like me so u will b top flight shortly sorry about sig but I've never found out myself ---------- E/S

Making a signature stencil will probably depend on which ArtRage version you bought, so could you let us know which one you purchased? If it is ArtRage 3.0 Pro, there is a stencil function in there that is pretty easy to use. Your ArtRage manual will have a detailed description of how to make a stencil. And DocSmith 626 (or someone else) may have a great way of making a stencil, too. I've heard of a third way; I haven't tried it myself, but I understand that if you have ArtRage 3.0 Studio (not the Pro version) you can make a new transparent layer file in Photoshop, using your tablet and pen make signatures until you do one that you like, then crop down to it, save it as a PNG (to preserve transparency), and then bring it up in ArtRage 3.0 Studio. ArtRage can make a stencil from the PNG file.

Hi Numpad,
    Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your artrage purchase, it is a fine piece of software and real value for money. Looks like you're off to a great start with your painting already.

With regard to a signature, there are so many ways to approach it and i'm sure you'll find one that suits you.

What I do on paintings is create a layer above the paint layer, write it with the texta (much easier to control for writing) and then i use a layer blend mode so it blends visually with the paint underneath (overlay, multiply or soft light most commonly). These are accessed from right-clicking on a layer in your layers palette and selecting from the blend mode submenu.

The nice thing about creating it above your work is that you have the option of moving it around with the transform tool and getting the placement exactly where you want it. When you're happy you can simply right-click on the layer a second time and merge the layer down and it becomes part of your painting.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

thx everyone for the warm welcome and advice :)

sorry for being away so long, but thats life for me i read all of your comments closley and will try them out now that i have more time for artrage. still havent found a way to make my signature the way i want it will let you all know how i progress. cheers NumPad. ---------> Edit: okay, i found one way to make a sig using photoshop. i will continue to pursue techniques untill i reach the one which best suits me. thank you all very much :-)
    Last edited by NumPad; 08-22-2010 at 06:16 AM.

me, an ordinary guy, is not clear - it is about what? or is it what?
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

thank you very much gzairborne
    i hope to continue my paintings with artrage but right now i have a big oil painting that takes alot of my attention.

but still artrage is great. i love it!

It's not bad. Overall though a little flat. I don't how real you were going for but things off the bat are that it looks like it's floating. No base. No cast shadow. Another thing you might want to consider is adding a secondary light source. The background isn't really helping bring it out. It's really not necessary.