ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Cultural Fair 2010 - Santa Cruz, CA

Japanese Cultural Fair 2010 - Santa Cruz, CA

I'm posting three paintings here of the annual Japanese Cultural Fair held last week (June 2010) in Santa Cruz, CA. Being clever people, they held the fair under a bunch of trees in a park, which kept things cool and relaxed for everyone. I wandered around taking oodles of photos and tried to select the best ones for AR painting. I'm still very much learning the AR tool kit -- I'm exploring the oil brushes and canvas types right now.

The first photo here is of The San Francisco Taiko Dojo doing their thing. They pour so much energy into their drumming that the whole audience becomes envigorated -- you have to be there to experience it, photos don't give you its visceral feel. "Taiko" means "drum" in Japanese -- traditionally Japanese drums drove away bad spirits and helped celebrate the joy of harvesttime. The San Francisco Taiko dojo was the first taiku group formed in the USA in 1968 by Seiichi Tanaka, a postwar immigrant who studied taiko in Japan and brought the styles and teachings to America. He still tours with the group and plays drums with them, but this painting was of younger drummers. They train rigorously and are very athletic.

Prepped in Photoshop CS4 for added vibrance and saturation, painted in AR using 100%-loaded, "thin" oil brush and palette knife onto several layers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marcialsj; 06-26-2010 at 07:01 AM.

This is my second painting from the Japanese Cultural Fair last week. On this one, I started by painting with a 100% loaded normal oil brush, but got frustrated and began dabbing my oil brush lots of times with the trace feature on in order to pick up subtle color changes. The resulting texture reminded me of embroidery so I kept it up. It took forever to dab away at the whole photo. I did leave some original brush strokes, though, and I like the way the two textures (dabs and strokes) play off each other in the clothing. The background is actually the backstop to the stage.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 06-26-2010 at 07:03 AM.

This is the third painting I did from the Japanese Cultural Fair last week. I'm sorry, I didn't note down what the traditional dance was that this lady was dancing, but it had something to do with colorful parasols such as the one you see here. I experimented with different types of canvas on different layers and with pulling in a second image to trace for the background for this. Did prep work on the original photo in Photoshop, and in AR zoomed in a lot in different layers with the tracing image picking up the colors in the original photo. For the background I erased a paper lantern on the bottom right and exported the AR painting into Photoshop to pull in another photo of some fabric I had also photographed at the Fair. I know you can do this in AR but it seemed simpler for me in Photoshop. I erased the parts of the fabric I didn't like and put a gray background layer underneath that. I was tempted to start adding some typography bur wanted to get this posted. May do some collage effects later on.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 06-30-2010 at 07:05 AM.

WOW...Very good this, beautiful colors and very well represented.

I like the dynamics in the first one. Even the background adds to it without distracting from the subject.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Learning with a lot of talent, congratulations, beautiful illustrations

Very awesome painting!
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell

You appear to be developing a technique similar to the one I've been experimenting with, and to good effect. There are a lot of things you can do in ArtRage that most folks believe can only be done in PhotoShop or PostWorkShop.

Excellent paintings marcialsj. The first painting is my favourite, it is dynamic, great colour and beautiful lighting, very well painted.