ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ink Pen Question

Ink Pen Question

Hello!
    I only want to know if there is problem with my Workstation or what?

There is Ink Tool tests
    with ArtRage Studio Pro and Easy PaintTool SAI.

I think that at least my machine works badly with ArtRage's Ink Pen Tool.
    especially line tapering is very strange.. there is small dot .. usually at the
    end of the stroke. Please look the pictures.. and "antialiasing" is not very good..
    also I can not do very "thin" lines with Ink Pen Tool.

I only want to know if there is anybody else noticed this strange behaviour.
    Or is it only my machine which behaves this way with ArtRage.

Thanks!

Tone aka Creativetone aka Luovatone
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Creativetone; 06-24-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks for the explanation of what you're seeing there. You won't see tapering / a lot of pressure response at 1% stroke size, the tool is already as small as it can be in ArtRage. I've made a note of the dot at the end of the stroke for us to look into here.

This seems to occur in this situation with square head enabled. I'd recommend unchecking 'square head' in the tool settings panel when working at 1% size to avoid getting the dot from time to time. At 1% size, square and round heads should look identical.

Moved this post to the technical support forum.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi, DaveRage!

And thank you..
    I do not want to bother you.. or anybody here.. too much..

..this "tapering Dot thing" is "very small" but annoying thing.. "for me"
    and when I need absolute clean quality with my lines this makes the Ink Pen
    tool unusable "for my situation".

Also when "Aspect ratio = 0%" there is jagged line problem.
    These things bother "me".

---------------------------------------------

ArtRage is Fantastic, Amazing painting tool.. I love it, really
    and Yes I am using it... even if I am into MyPaint right now.

I love Watercolors,
    Sticker Spray -engine (blending or smudge colors would be great, wink! .

But most amazing thing is..
    Paper Textures and how "paint" absorbs into it.
    Great texturing and coloring is possible with these.

--------------------------------------------------------------

btw. I do not expect that Ink Pen -tool should behave same as
    PaintTool SAI, SketchBook Pro, Painter or any other program..

I love to work with different programs / tools..
    depends lot of my mood. I really like "differences" how tools works program to
    program.

Quote Originally Posted by Creativetone View Post
    ..this "tapering Dot thing" is "very small" but annoying thing.. "for me" and when I need absolute clean quality with my lines this makes the Ink Pen tool unusable "for my situation".

Also when "Aspect ratio = 0%" there is jagged line problem.
    These things bother "me".
    Hi Tone,

Your post was quite a relief to me! Before, I could not understand how we could have such different views of the Ink Pen. Now I understand your problem, and I sympathize completely.

-tapering dot: As Dave said, this is an issue with the Square Head option. Turn it off and your lines should end just fine. No weird dot on the end.

-Aspect ratio = 0%: you are right about that jagged line. Maybe that is something they need to look into? I prefer a more brushlike stroke so Aspect Ratio is always 100% for me.

-very thin lines: yeah, the Ink Pen tool does not make super-fine lines. If I am serious about needing very thin lines, I either 1) use the Pencil tool or 2) increase the DPI and work at a larger scale.

Below is a tracing of your test image done at 72 dpi. The settings were as shown, except I varied the levels of Smoothing and the Size of the Pen. Also, I use the Pencil tool for the blobs and bits, and a couple of the thin interior lines. I did have to break up the long curve into 4-5 strokes. (See the joins?)

Below that is a drawing I did; one of the characters was inked in SAI, the other in ArtRage. You can probably guess which is which!

SAI makes very beautiful lines--no question! But ArtRage gives me a more spontaneous look which I value more. I don't think one program is "better" than the other for inking; it depends on your style and the look you are trying to achieve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inktest.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	45973  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by terrygillooly; 06-24-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Would love to read the story that prompted that illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    Hi Tone,

Your post was quite a relief to me! Before, I could not understand how we could have such different views of the Ink Pen. Now I understand your problem, and I sympathize completely.

-tapering dot: As Dave said, this is an issue with the Square Head option. Turn it off and your lines should end just fine. No weird dot on the end.

-Aspect ratio = 0%: you are right about that jagged line. Maybe that is something they need to look into? I prefer a more brushlike stroke so Aspect Ratio is always 100% for me.

-very thin lines: yeah, the Ink Pen tool does not make super-fine lines. If I am serious about needing very thin lines, I either 1) use the Pencil tool or 2) increase the DPI and work at a larger scale.

Below is a tracing of your test image done at 72 dpi. The settings were as shown, except I varied the levels of Smoothing and the Size of the Pen. Also, I use the Pencil tool for the blobs and bits, and a couple of the thin interior lines. I did have to break up the long curve into 4-5 strokes. (See the joins?)

Below that is a drawing I did; one of the characters was inked in SAI, the other in ArtRage. You can probably guess which is which!

SAI makes very beautiful lines--no question! But ArtRage gives me a more spontaneous look which I value more. I don't think one program is "better" than the other for inking; it depends on your style and the look you are trying to achieve.
    Thanks, terrygillooly.. I tested those settings of yours..
    and Ink Pen tool .. works quite well for me.

These things are so "personal".

I can work with ArtRage Ink Pen -tool and I like it someway.. it works
    very differently than eg. SAI or Painter.. example "Smooth" parameter is very nice.. but maybe bit strange for me. Because I want to better now,
    where the line comes.

with SAI I can work very fast.. I do not have to switch different tools or..
    any settings much.. like radius. And I can make nice "long" strokes. "this is
    because SAI has a "stabilizer" -special parameter, which makes things easier".

I do not want that ArtRage should include those things.. Because I like ArtRage as it is.. almost. Only thing that really bother me is that "Dot" and "Jagged line thing"

ArtRage "Line thickness" should not be a problem when make "Large Prints"
    And maybe I want that ArtRage Ink Pen do not produce those "ultra" smooth thin lines and tapering. I can live without that. ..this only gives me variety.

Btw. You have made very nice "quality" line work with ArtRage.
    and I agree about spontaneous.. It was the reason why I bought ArtRage..
    ArtRage have also taught me to use "colors" spontaneously..

It is so fun to splash watercolors and Oil on the canvas.. and look how it really looks like "real".

Thanks!
    Let's make some Art

Quote Originally Posted by Docsmith626 View Post
    Would love to read the story that prompted that illustration.
    Ha ha, me too! Unfortunately the story doesn't exist. You know how it is; one minute you're doodling away, the next there's a ferret-guy sitting on top of someone's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Creativetone View Post
    Let's make some Art
    Excellent! *fistbump*
    Cat Boxes, a web comic