ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it make any sense?

Unhappy Does it make any sense?

A paradigmatic event struck me today and I couldn't refrain from illustrating it wordlessly.
    I believe it's well known, especially in US and in Texas in particular, what made me wonder once again on this matter.
    The fundamental question about what justice is, what punishment, its proper measure and aim are. The fundamental considerations of Cesare Beccaria thereabout, written more than two centuries ago, are unfortunately mostly unknown or eluded.
    This is one basic question that everybody, and especially western civilization and democracies cannot elude (and recently got an initial answer by a United Nations resolution) for proudly go on contributing its leading vision to a universal promotion of induividuals and their rights against any ancestral instinct and barbarian culture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DavidPowellExecutionFinal.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	45771  
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-17-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

crikey at least hear my side of the story before chopping me barnett off Caesar AHHH and the croad roared NEXT

Don't worry for Your head (and wonderful, fluent beard, I guess), dear Eighty+, on this side m. Guillotin retired since some time ...

Very good drawing and statement...mmust say that i love mr.headsman for his gorgeous muscles but hope they are not steroidal.

Great painting Cesare with such a good story. Heres to keeping ones head on ones shoulders.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Dear Anna, I wouldn't have painted it (and I did it quite quickly), if the news of David Powell's execution in Texas and the relevant story did not shock me so deeply. A paradigmatic, but concrete case.
    The story here is that he killed a guy who killed a policeman when he was very young and under drugs effects is killed after 32 years.
    He paid with his freedom. He then behaved well also with his mates.He got two positive judgments both reverted. He got no grace (probably for mean politics reasons). He couldn't endanger society and he couldn't take his victim's life back with his death.
    I removed therefore any hypocritical veil of a pityful and painless kill (a good executioner and a sharp axe could do the same) covering a sheer violence act which is also a bad example for countries and dictatorships with impressive death punishments records.
    I also tried to figure out what his victim, should think thereabout while enjoying, as I like to imagine, God's light and love for any other human being and creature: tearing and sadness for this further premature life toll.
    I hope no one would feel offended. I see the fault in the event, not in anyone specifically, but we should try to change and follow United Nations suspension of death penalties, especially to help people in countries where this measure is heavily used ...
    It's not about politics, but about conscience, awareness, civilization and human rights.

As for the executioner, dear Anna, I can grant he's not a fake inflated hunk and his muscles are naturally strong and come from excercise ...(mostly on wooden blocks).

Dear Katie, thank You too! I tried to add Your name too hereabove, but I think it was a too long reply and it didn't accept the change ...

Very powerful image .

Caesar, i was trying to figure out, what this pic was all about.. now ... after your explanation.. understand fully, what you wanted to state with painting it. I am not familliar with this case at all/do not watch tv /,Good to know, that your beeing was shocked by all that happened.
    There's not always justice for the little people because of the luck of funds, Dear Caesar, and remember the OJ Simpson trial? I am sure you do, and what happened? Just the opposite.
    There could be a long disussion about what is going on around us and in the world... but am afraid this is not the right place to do so. I just hope that more people as you and now I will think about this case and start to care about not just themselves but about his neighbour also... becouse they might found themselves in their places the next time.

Good reminder, dear Caesar....
    Last edited by AT-TA; 06-18-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Thank You, dear SCP and Anna!

In the meanwhile, yesterday, in Utah another execution was carried out with a curious vintage ritual. At least a more honest way to perfom this macabre and violent act ...
    Striking to consider that there too the grace depends by the victim's outraged family wisdom and view and not by more objective, phylosophycal, rational, elevated values and considerations socially shared. Victim's family decision between death or not, just like in many islamic culture countries quite often not democracies or advanced ones.
    Anyway I stop here my opinions thereabout ....
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-18-2010 at 10:26 PM.