Thread: First Post Here

Gallery
    View images

First Post Here

Hello,

This is my first post here and my first painting with ArtRage. I've started to draw and paint again after a long lay off (mostly aviation and motorsports subjects) and decided to give digital painting a try. I'm impressed with ArtRage, finding it very close to real world painting and, consequently, pretty easy to pick up.

This is Jochen Rindt practicing in the rain for the 1969 US Grand Prix, which was his first GP win. I call it "Practice Makes Perfect".

Gallery
    View images
    :shock: whowwwwrrrrmmmmm
    welcome in here....a very good first painting indeed... i hope to see more avation and motorsport drawing....
    good luck

greez maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    8) sweet as a nut felix really great image .........welcome on board ...........

Gallery
    View images
    HOW DID U DO THIS, ITS AMAXZING
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Maror, Speggie, Enchanter thanks for the welcome and the comments.

Enchanter, I tried to stay as close as possible to traditional methods and results (minus the brush cleaning and ruined clothes ). If you'd like to see a work in progress page, there's one on my website at http://home.comcast.net/~felixdk203/ and a thread on our aviation art forum at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/felixdk. Feel free to join in, if you'd like.

Thanks,
    Don

Gallery
    View images
    Has all the elements firing!

Nothing like a nice fast race in the rain.

Thanks for passing the word about ArtRage.

jimhenderson should go nuts for your website if he isn't already on it. He done some military aircraft as well.

Gallery
    View images
    That's an absolutely phenomenal painting. You've put so much detail into it! Really fantastic stuff.

I can see you definitely like to use the reference images! The work in progress on your website is brilliant - thanks for showing the steps.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    That's pretty incredible, it looks photorealistic. Without the WIP I would've had an even harder time believing that it's not one. Well done, and welcome to the forums!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi D Akey,

Thanks for passing the word about ArtRage
    It's really a pleasure to find program that's so reasonably priced and offers so much both to people that are just starting out and people that already have a background in Art. I've tried other programs, but they're mostly so complicated that you have to put a lot of time in before you can actually expect to get anything out of them. I wouldn't give up Photoshop, but within about an hour, I was slinging digital paint around in ArtRage 2 and enjoying it, which counts for a lot. I've already got another piece started, aviation this time.

jimhenderson should go nuts for your website if he isn't already on it. He done some military aircraft as well.
    So there are others here that do aircraft. I haven't had any time to look around yet.

AndyRage,
    I can see you definitely like to use the reference images!
    It's great to be able to stick up references, just like at my drawing board. I was working from photos that I took at the race; it's easier than having open books pile up around you and I was able to vizualize just how I was standing in relationship to the track when I took the shots and how best to transfer it to the "canvas".

thanks for showing the steps
    The guys that I converse with on the web about avArt are predominantly traditional artists and doing the digital piece was kind of a challenge and maybe a way to goad them to try it too. I thought that showing the steps might show that it's really no different than working paint. One thing that I screwed up was the size according to my digital artist friends. The bigger the better if you ever want to do a print at 300dpi. Live and learn.

Hi justG,
    That's pretty incredible, it looks photorealistic.
    Thanks, that's the way I've always painted. My instructors in art school could have beaten me over the head with a maulstick(they tried everything else) and I still would have painted really tight. I've come to realize that it's just my style. I see that a lot of people here are able to paint in a more painterly, loose style that I can appreciate, but have never been able to get to work for me.

Now I have too take some time to look around and enjoy everybody's work. Hopefully I'll have another painting to show by the end of the week.

Thanks,
    Don

Gallery
    View images
    I saw the wip, and its still a wow, form me, that took patience!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown