ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour Fill help??

Colour Fill help??

I'm drawing some pictures using ArtRage 2.6, and I need colour fill, otherwise it looks horrible. Can anyone help me out on how to get colour fill???

!!!

Help PLEASEQ!

There's no help to give, for there is no Color Fill tool in ArtRage 2. ArtRage Studio has one though.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

OMg, are you serious? What art program doesnt have colour fill. Artrage is EPIC fail

ArtRage 2 was aimed squarely at natural painting simulation and as such didn't include a number of digital style tools such as selections and flood fills. For the Studio and Studio Pro versions we took our basic natural paint system and added a number of more digital tools that were requested by users who also work in that kind of environment to create a more digital production oriented system, flood fill being one of them.

Users of ArtRage 2 have in the past used the Stencils and Roller tools to create a more natural blocking in of areas with paint but if you want an automatic flood fill or other digital style tools we'd suggest Studio. You can use your Registration Key to get a discount on switching to one of the later versions if you want.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

speaking of color fill

Dear Matt, speaking of color fill, in my old Paint program there is a 'Bucket' tool to fill in color, it appears to fill in the area completely, in my ArtRage the Fill tool seems to miss the inside edges, except for the Ink too which appears to Fill in all the way, i do like the Fill tool and have used it a lot but takes some time repairing the missing spots, but as you said, sometimes making or useing a Stencil works out better,,,,,, Maybe you can fix the missing edge problem? Thanks much!!! xox
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The reason you're getting a halo is because the media strokes are antialiased ( softened at the edges to avoid jagged looking stroke edges ), so the edges of the stroke are not the same colour as the body of the stroke. The reason you're not seeing it with the Ink tool is that you have 'antialias edge' turned off, otherwise you would see a similar behaviour to the other tools here. Your Paint program most likely doesn't do antialiasing.

To avoid getting a halo when filling in areas: Turn your 'spread' value up high in the fill tool to make the tool fill over a larger range of colours, and turn off 'antialias edge', both in the tool settings when the fill tool is selected. Then you should no longer see that.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

You Guys are too cool for words, that really works??!!!! antialiased?!!!!,,, again, Thank You Dave!!!! xox
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oops, I should've explained antialiasing there, sorry Lee! Briefly, antialiasing is the method by which digital strokes are made to look smooth along the edges. Because your strokes are made up of pixels which are square, to make your strokes look smooth, some of the pixels on the edges are partially transparent.

You can see the difference between aliased and antialiased in ArtRage Studio Pro by using the ink tool, making a stroke, then unchecking / checking the 'antialias edge' tool option and making another stroke.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dear Dave, Thank You!, that word is a new one for me, hope i never have to repeat it!!!,,,i do remember that in my old Microsoft Paint program the Pencil tool did put down one little pixel at a time, there was a magnifying too to see it but never new what it was called, makes me marvel at the detail you guys must consider when making a program that doubles as real painting or drawing, really appreciate the knowledge and talent of your gang xox