ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep taking the Tablets!

Keep taking the Tablets!

Tablets, Slates and Pads.

As I'm doing my own market research before parting with my cash, I thought I would start a non partisan thread on what's available or about to come out.

So far the Notion Ink Adam is ticking all my boxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGUKH...eature=channel

Anyone else seen anything interesting and have something positive to say?

Watching closely!

yeah, that Adam is the closest thing to take to plein air sessions:
    -- Pixel Qi techology make it workable in ANY light (like eInk). In fact, the more light, the better contrast is (it's monochrome though);
    -- swivel camera can produce the reference photo right on the spot;
    -- nVidia Tegra 2 (250; Cortex A9) makes it one beast of a machine, significantly more powerful than current iPad;
    -- relatively cheap stylus contraption of Siso Tablo type could transform it into Cintiq type tablet (600 dpi, pressure sensitivity emulated by pen tip speed).

However, there are too many obstacles for this Adam to ever materialize out of vaporware smoke. First, those Haiderabad Adam guys are nobodies as far as major potential tablet developers are concerned (Dell, ASUS, Google/HTC, Samsung, dozen others). So nobody out of manufacturers listens to them. Second, nVidia has serious difficulties with the yields of the Tegra SoCs. Third, Pixel Qi is almost the same "nobody" to talk to LCD manufacturers, especially the ones that are overloaded by the Apple orders of IPS screens. Fourth, it's Android 1.6...2.1 machine, and the promised Ubuntu option didn't show yet, so it will take a serios hack to put Win 7 Embedded on it (for ArtRage/Tablo work)

What a practical tablet should be you may find in my blog fineoils.blogspot.com (1st part of it, that is)

Meanwhile -- that is, before well into 2011, -- I'd be trying Siso Tablo pen with my ordinary old Thinkpad T41p. And the ArtRage. And the Artweaver. And whatever.

the sunlight thing is very cool technology. I bet ipad wishes they had that. I wonder if Apple will buy these guys out to get it?

yeah, ability to clearly read from the screen under the strongest sunlight is awesome. Even watching 1080p Avatar in burnt umber monochromes is fun. iPad can't do anything of it, it's a toy for couch potatoes, not a tool for outside. Apple doesn't wish any of it, and probably never will: there's an even clearer technology called Liquavista, they kicked this one out of their sight, too. With such an attitude, I'd rather not have Notion Ink be bought by Apple. Luckily, their mad Adobe Flash-hating Fuehrer can't see them even in microscope. Better chances may await them if they could be bought by Google tablet developers, but these too, look mostly at HTC, Dell, ASUS, Samsung, other mammoths whose ideas of a tablet computing could be equally fossilized. Again, you may want to read some of my considerations about The Tablet in my blog fineoils.blogspot.com.

So, nobody uses Siso Tablo contraption with AR?. That's very sad.... You see, with all sober estimates Adam won't be available till somwhere into 2011, whereas Siso Tablo, this poor man Cintiq thingie, is available since 2009 and can be had for as low as $68.

------------------
    ia2009.deviantart.com

In my article for the Carrypad.com, I covered most of these questions, have a look. However, I admit, it's not finished yet, a work in progress. So I might need to stress more on some points:
    1. I do not believe x86 architecture CPUs will have any impact on a future tablet computing, so technically, "traditional" desktops and many so called "Tablet PCs" are on their way out, together with the Wintel model.
    2. Even if classic MGMs are really cute, I'd rather go with Porsche to tinker with, lol, and provide kids with bicycles.
    3. Who talks about "watered down", "low-res" version of Artrage? Tegra2 SoC is capable to support 12 Megapixel still/1080p video (with 120 Hz refresh for FIFA World Cup in 3D, like right now). 250....300 dpi tablet AMOLED or IPS display with 100....120% of standard color gamut is perfectly fine for pre-print checks.
    4. Android on tablets is just a proof of the concept for now, a transitional placeholder for Chrome OS with "cloud computing" features (like making art proof printouts at some remote shop, or gallery). If the cloud "post-processing" is not needed, then you have an option to employ embedded Ubuntu, nVidia is working on its port as we speak. Does Artrage support Linux? Too bad if not, move on to the good old Gimp, or Artweaver, or whatever.
    5. Today's tablet prototypes on Tegra 2 tend to stress their (multi-) touch capabilities on capacitive or resistive screens. For the 10...12" "Art Tablet" you could literally wear (in the kangaroo pocket), I'd rather have a Wacom-style mesh for stylus (instead or on top of touch sensitive layer). If not, there is a Siso Tablo contraption. Tegra 2 prototypes have shown capabilities of simultaneous processing of 8 independent finger "touchings". In other words, I would love to utilize my left hand in smearing and blending the strokes that I still drawing in this very moment with the stylus in my right hand.

MGBs were meant, a typo, sorry, mate, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fraser_paice View Post
    Tablets, Slates and Pads.

Anyone else seen anything interesting and have something positive to say?
    I was hoping for a few "I've seen this! and it looks good!" Style comments.

I tend to wait a couple of years for any new technology to get past its "growing pains" not to mention for the price to come down. So, for now, I'll sit on my hands and let the process of technological natural selection run its course.

I was watching the clips and reading the Pixel Qi site and blog as well as the Aludal's suggestions. I want to thank you and him for the information as I was ignorant of these developments.
    But, as Robert Wade says, I'd better wait a while. At present stage none of these seems pressure sensitive capable, which is the basic raison d'etre for an artist's digital device.

One thing is clear though: the iPad hype isn't worth the rush --at least for outdoors sketchers or painters.
    As the Pixel Qi technology is developed together with the MIT "One Laptop Per Child" program, I'd take it seriously and wait for the near future improvements. Be patient.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com