ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Moving a Layer Selection Leaves a "Shadow"

Question Moving a Layer Selection Leaves a "Shadow"

I'm drawing a series of pictures where the same objects appear in different places in each "frame". I'm using 3.0.6.

I draw each object on a separate layer. Then I select that layer, and use Select Layer Contents to select it all. Then I use the transform tool to move the ink.

The tool moves MOST of the ink, but leaves a little "shadow" behind, a pale version of the original object, as if it were imperfectly erased.

This ink is really there. It persists over a save / load. It also ruins my picture, as you can imagine.

Please advise ... thanks!

To transform layer contents, use the transform option without selecting the contents manually. Selecting layer contents creates a selection that mirrors the transparency of the paint. Because paint is partially transparent at the edges in order to create a smoother look, the selection is only partially solid at the edges when it is created. When you move a selection that is only 50% there, only 50% of the paint is moved, so you get a 'shadow' left behind.

Most applications get around this the way we do: Just use the selection tool and tap on paint in the layer to transform it, that'll move the entire layer contents without leaving any behind.

Hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

hmm, well ...

Offhand, I'd have expected "Select Layer Contents" to select layer contents.

I understand the workaround and will try it. For now, I'm doing the picture in Alias.

Thanks,

It's by design, so if you've used selection sets in other applications it'll be a familair process. I can understand how it might seem confusing if you're new to selections though, the behaviour of partially opaque selected areas can be unusual if you're not used to them.

In this case, all you need to remember is that Select Layer Contents makes a selection set from the layer contents, rather than being required to transform the layer. The 'Transform Layer Contents' option in the Edit menu transforms the contents of a layer, without a selection being required.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

seems odd ...

... to do that "by design". what advantage is there to not selecting everything in the layer when the user says "select layer contents"?

i'm not aware of another program that works this way, but maybe i've just never tried this particular thing. can you think of some offhand that do this same thing?

but no worries, i get the workaround, despite not seeing how this is good.

thanks,

Photoshop's probably the best example of another app that does this. When you make a selection using the alpha map of the layer (prior to the current version where it differs if you just Ctrl-Click the layer thumb), then move the contents of that selection, you'll see a halo where the antialiased edge of the alpha does partial move only. As with ArtRage, if you just pick up their move tool (eg. our Transform tool) and click/drag on the layer without making a selection, the entire layer is transformed. You can see this in the current version by painting a feathered mask in Quick Mask mode then using the move tool on the resulting selection set.

The use of it is to allow partial selections to be used in transformation, so if you want to remove 50% of an area you can do so. Select Layer Contents creates a selection using the layer contents, and works like any other partially transparent selection. If you were to use it to create a selection then paint in to a new layer with that mask still selected for example, you'd get a perfect alpha match. It's not useful for transforming here, but it's definitely useful for other operations.

Hope that helps clarify!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.