ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ultimate!

Ultimate!

I love ultimate frisbee. It's my favorite sport of all time. I've had my first day off in weeks, and I got to join a pick up game today, I had time to draw a page for my brother, I played a load of video games, and had time for a 40 minute sketch before I go to bed. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep really well after all that frisbee. =D

My brother gets to go to a tournament on Saturday, but I have a final project to turn in this weekend and I'm working two jobs, both of which have me working shifts on Saturday, so I can't go. =(

Anyways, this amusingly enough started as a self portrait based off of the original ultimate logo, but then I started perfecting "my" form and the end result looks more like something you'd see either of my brothers doing on the field, and not so much me. I grew up playing on a gravel field, so you really didn't want to do much diving, and it's been very well burned into my psyche: don't fall down while playing ultimate. It happens all the time, but I can't make myself do it.

I'm not sure how to draw bodies in extreme motion. I dug out some references, but this move is pretty unique to frisbee, and I'm pretty sure I got the chest area wrong, so any references/critiques would be greatly appreciated. Actually, any in general. The only way I'll get better is if people point out the flaws I can't see. So blaze away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultimate.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	45666  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Hello gray, good to see you again.

Hm, i am not the one to give critiques.. but i will tell you what i think even if you get mad at me...oh... i think... generally it is quite well drawn... but the whole figure lucks the life in it... otherwise i like it...nice expression and body action is always hard to express without ref pic. Caesar is very good at drawing... he will tell you wholeheartilly what he thinks...

It does lack life. Which is another reason I was asking for critiques. I'm also super hard to get mad. I'm pretty mechanical, not very in touch with emotion. Perhaps why it lacks life. I dunno. Anyways, thanks for commenting!
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

You know Gray, I think if you used some shading here and there it would add definition. I am weak with anatomy and don't have the right to offer crit, but I like the drawing alot. A fun sport indeed!