ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Undo/Redo history?

Red face Undo/Redo history?

It seems AR3 has infinite undo/redo history. Yesterday I was painting a quite large picture, almost finished, then I kept pressing Ctrl+Z, the picture therefore turned back to a blank canvas after 100+ undos...

It is cool, but I don't think I need that much (usually I need at most 10 steps). I know undo/redo history would usually slow down the computer.

Is it why AR gets slow? Is there a way to set the undo number? (or I have to save and restart AR)

Hey GB,
    I had a similar query when AR3 came out.
    but then I found out from rage team that this unlimited undo is one of the best (and IMHO often overlooked) feature of the software.
    rom what I understood, AR doesn't use ram or memory to store undo operations, but instead writes temp files in temp folder. What this implies is that until you run out of hard disk space you can have infinite undo without taxing the resources also it very nicely deletes all the files as soon as you close the file. I saw it in action after opening up the temp folder where it write the undo files.
    It's the most efficient system for undo I've seen so far.
    So not to worry about undo, I think AR feels slow because of the load on the processor.
    All we can now wait for is multi threading & 64 bit!

The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Thanks Flyashy!

Yep, multi thread and 64bit! I would do anything to make AR run faster

Saving, then reloading your painting file will purge the undo history.

Turning off the lighting ( F5 ) can also give a performance increase as ArtRage then doesn't need to render the lighting effects for all of the media on the canvas in addition to the other processing it needs to do.

ArtRage works with paint thickness, wetness, lighting and so on in addition to just colour which means that it is moving around a lot more data than a standard painting application. 64 bit support and multi-threading are in our 'to do' list.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

good news

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    64 bit support and multi-threading are in our 'to do' list.
    the sooner that the new features or Ver 3 are running in real time the better