ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: .ptg thumbnails in Adobe Bridge

.ptg thumbnails in Adobe Bridge

Aren't .ptg thumbnails readable in Adobe Bridge? They come up just fine in Windows Explorer (win7). All I get in Bridge is a tiny generic icon. In fact the Artrage icon is also not showing up in folders - only that annoying generic Microsoft icon that tells you something is just a little bit broken.

I'm not sure if Adobe Bridge can read our file format or not. If the ArtRage thumbnail viewer is working correctly, you should be able to see thumbnails when browsing folders in the OS. In Windows 7, the folder view needs to be medium, large, extra large icons or tiles.

If you're not seeing that, let me know and I can troubleshoot the thumbnail viewer with you. Let me know what version of ArtRage you're using as well.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hey there, nice to get such a quick response. No problem seeing the thumbnails in Windows Explorer when View is set to medium, large or extra-large icons. The problem is that funky generic Microsoft icon when the View is set to List. Same thing in the jump lists you get in win7 whenyou right click on program shortcut in the Taskbar. I have down a bit of hunting around online for a solution to the broken program icon link problem that people have sometimes with popular programs like Word and Acrobat. So Artrage is in distinguished company. The stock solution of deleting the dbiconcache file in the App Data folder didn't do a thing. BTW I would think that making the thumbnails readable in Bridge would be a priority since your users are probably, many of them, using Adobe products heavily in their workflow and do not want to have to change their basic image management habits in order to incorporate Artrage as a tool.

Thanks for the details on this one. Okay, the intended behavior when viewing a folder with the list view is that each icon should have a small ArtRage symbol. If you're getting the default Microsoft logo it sounds like something's amiss.

If you haven't already uninstalled, then reinstalled the version of ArtRage you're using there, I'd recommend doing so as it sounds likely to be file association related. Otherwise, Could I possibly get you to email me a screenshot of a folder showing the problem icons ( support@artrage.com ) ? I just want to make sure I'm on the right track here. I can troubleshoot it with you directly via email.

Also, when you email me, could you confirm:

1/ If you create and save a new painting with ArtRage, that the thumbnail shows ( for large icons and tiles etc. ) to make sure that the inbuilt thumbnail viewer is working correctly.

2/ If you double click on a painting file, ArtRage launches and opens the file

3/ What version of ArtRage you're using e.g. ArtRage Studio 3.0.7
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hey Dave,
    Being the thorough type I had already re-installed a couple times before posting. I am using Artrage Studio 3.0.7. Everything is working fine as far as creating and opening new files. The new files generate thumbnails for Windows Explorer. Just this annoyance about the generic icons in list view and the cool new jumplist feature of win7. Couldn't figure any way of doing a screen capture of the broken icons in the jumplist but am attaching a shot from Windows Explorer. It is coming back to me that I had this same problem with Acrobat 9 files on a Vista machine and did a whole day's detective work and finally downloaded a free utility software that allowed me to change one buried setting that fixed that one. This is not actually a functional problem - just an aesthetic one. The lack of thumbnails in Bridge - now that's a functional deficiency.
    All the Best, C
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Do you happen to remember what the setting you needed to change to fix the Acrobat problem was, or the app that does it? It's possible tha the document icon definition is missing something that Bridge is looking for.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Actually what I fixed concerning Acrobat was this same problem of generic icons in Windows Explorer. And, no, I haven't been able to remember what app I used. The setting change had to do with some redundant icon updating service in Acrobat. Don't have the same problem with win7. Funny - the Artrage Thumbnails display nicely in Windows Explorer where you get only the Ps icon for .psd files and in Bridge it is the reverse except that I don't even get the Artrage icon for a .ptg file, only the generic three colored dots.

If the icons are working correctly in Windows then it sounds like a problem with Adobe Bridge. This may relate to a limitation in how they handle icons, or a problem with the software accessing the standard OS thumbnail system we use.

While I can't really debug a problem in an external system could you let me know if you saw the same problem under 3.0.6? That may help me work out what they are trying to do and why it's failing. Unfortunately, there may be nothing I can do if the OS is displaying icons fine but another piece of software is having problems.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.