Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketch book - feel free to comment

I'm drawing feet at the moment and finding them as tedious as the hands so making myself do 2 pages of them as well . Won't stop at just 2 pages as I discover differing styles and positions I'll probably do another page in the future all adds up to future reference for myself and others. Listening to the Chris Oatly pod casts makes it seem little less of a chore.

Actually starting to trawl through old comics like the Calvin and Hobbes to name one (been sat on my shelf for ages) made me appreciate the works more for the story telling and artistic merits if that makes sense. Also re-reading the good old Calvin and Hobbes takes on new meaning now I have a kid of my own.
    Last edited by Chibi J; 07-10-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Ok heres the feet they are a tedious as hands so I made myself do another page. I'm at the running down of the inspired drive that grips you when you decided upon something but I am determined to keep this up and cover cartoons and realistic drawing as well. The hardest part of learning something is not the subject matter its maintaining the motivation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feet.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	46450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	and more feet.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	46451  

lines n lines n lines

Construction lines just looking at movement. I found this is a nice quick exercise I look through books just noting the basic shapes and body positions and will work as future reference. I think I'll do this as quickies when ever the toddler is creeping into the evening time.

Name:	line n lines n lines.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	46452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line n lines n lines 1.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	46453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line n lines n lines 2.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	46454  

Looking at the characters in the book and as drawing practise reposing them. The book image is in the top left corner (reference drawn). I scanned my line drawings in and painted them in artrage.

Hum I seem to be getting one or two decent sketch in a page, more practise needed.

Name:	Prince.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	46522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prince 1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	46523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Girl and boy.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	46524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Girl and boy paint.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	46525  

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the lovely skillset you are developing. The practice is obviously paying off.

Hi thank you for the encouragement My reply is a little on the slow side as my little boy has had yet another cold (thats what I get for allowing him to play with other children and taking him out every day LOL ) When toddlers ill mummum time disapates as his sleeping patterns are all over the place, so my page of sketches a day had a little set back though these things happen so I settled for at least one drawing a day.

For my practise I was copying some other artist artwork Firstly I did a little Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson. Man I surprised I actually got some drawing done as I kept getting distracted by the strips which are even funnier now that I have my own son

my next pages are from a book by Gervase Phinn he does anacdotal stories about his job as a school inspecter. The illustrator for his book is Chris Mould.

I have found that a fault that I have for my drawing is I have a tendecy to bunch the head and features of the face up a bit so as I draw I found I needed to increase the empty space on the heads. Hope that makes sense. Also I needed to take more note of body sizing Calvin body is kind of half and half that being his head takes up half his body where as Chris mould splits his children into thirds: head, body and legs

I will kind of be switching from learn to draw book work, copying other artist to real life drawing for my sketch book. I hope to be a really good artist one day and the epiphany moment was when I reallised that I would really have to put some effort into it to make it happen.

Name:	Calvin and Hobbes.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	46792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris mould.JPG 
Views:	1739 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	46793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris mould 1.JPG 
Views:	1228 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	46794  
    Last edited by Chibi J; 07-24-2010 at 09:58 AM.

An eagle that seem to look like a deranged parrot most of the time and a duck.

The eagle was done a few days ago but due to toddler being ill I have only just got round to painting it (which I do in artrage) the duck has been done tonight, I see a slight improvement in my lines after doing the copying exercise.

Name:	Eagle.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	46797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle paint.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	46798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duck.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	46799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duck paint.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	46800  

Some more copying of other art styles. Usually do these after a hard day with toddler as I don't have to think as much, I'm just looking at forms rather than having to think about ideas ect.

The pictures are from a book called 'I don't want to have a bath' by Julie Sykes the illustrations are done by Tim Warnes

Name:	Little Tiger.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	46819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Little Tiger paint.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	46820  

Parrot

Here is a parrot. I am getting happy with my drawings, they are not to the standed of where I want to be (don't think, no matter how good I get I ever reach that level ) but I can see the improvement my parrot has consitancy of shape in his different poses.

The poses are something I am doing for myself I am working through the How to draw cartoons by Adam Clay the top left picture is the book version the rest are my ideas. The first drawing I do after the book version is to mirror the character and I have found this is the trickest thing to do. Once the line art is done ( I do this on paper) I happily paint it in artrage. I did the parrots in differing colour combos to try and reflect its pose and expression.

Name:	Parrot.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	46839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parrot paint.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	46840  
    Last edited by Chibi J; 07-26-2010 at 02:13 PM.