ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketch book - feel free to comment

Sketch book - feel free to comment

Wasn't quiet sure where to put this so i'll whack it here. I've titled it sketch book because thats what it is a collection of sketches some of which have or will be developed and some that will only live on these pages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charley sketch.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	45485  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chibi J; 07-01-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Faces - different shaped faces and how different media colouring effects looks

Name:	faces.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	45488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face paint styles 3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	45489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face paint styles 2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	45490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face paint styles 1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	45491  

Some more cartoon faces looking at shapes and colouring styles

Name:	faces1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	45529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face paint style 4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	45530  

Erm the best way I can describe this page is er Stuff. I'm trying to just fill pages of stuff. Sometimes nice ideas creep out.

Name:	stuff.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	45686  

I did a picture of The Creep from a cartoon called Galexy High. After I had finished him I decided as drawing practise I would try to position him in different ways. The 4 pictures on the left were drawn from screen shots to get a feel of his shape the rest are positions I thought up.

Name:	The creep.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	45910  

Some more sketches looking at faces and how just changing pupils and eyes shapes can create different expressions

Name:	faces0001.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	46012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eyes.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	46013  

These are all wonderful little cartoons here. I appreciate the time you took to do different poses.

Very fun and effective way to practice!

Thanks for the comment MeganSparks I posting up my sketch book as I have decided to really try and develop my art focusing on cartoons at the moment. While doing it I realised that in all the art lessons at school never did they mention the importance of the sketch book or actually mention it for that matter. They just focused on one off pieces. It is only through reading Imagine FX and looking at Tom Gaulds flicker sketch book that I realised what a important tool it is.

So if any art teachers looking at this post. Give you kids a sketch book, some comics and art books and some free time to just fill it in

Oh and if my workings can help other people art feel free to use it as a base.

My art teacher, in the way back .... she was and still is a very big part of how I became an artist. I enjoy drawing cartoons very much. So much that I now have to practice the realism because my skills have faded in that... so be sure to practice both! The realistic practice helps you learn how to morph the cartoons.

Mrs Hixon always had me sketching things and trying everything she could muster the cash from the school for me to experience. Through her I was able to try everything and had she the funds, I'm sure I would have found digital art much sooner than I did.

I agree though, sketchbooks are essential and cost effective tools and practice! I love the sketchbook you have going, it's really good. A lot of neat characters in there.

Sounds like you had an excellent art teacher MeganSparks there are some good ones out there. Unfortunatly they weren't in my school.

I intend to do some realistic sketches as well and when I do them they will pop up on here as well but I have decided to be systamatic in my approach to my drawing so at the moment my focus is cartoons.

I am working through a book called How to draw cartoons by Adam Clay and Cartooning by Franklin Bishop. The way I'm doing my sketch pages is to use the books as reference and then continuing by experimenting with changinging things slightly to see what effects they have. My aim is to try and fill a page a day. Though toddler is going through a spark out at mid day phase so evening Mummum time just slips away as he is going to bed much later

The sketch book is a combination of sketches on artrage and sketches drawn on paper.

Name:	Mouths.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	457.3 KB 
ID:	46083  
    Last edited by Chibi J; 06-28-2010 at 02:50 PM.