ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow + Magenta = Red (and) Blue + Green = Cyan (Easily)

Yellow + Magenta = Red (and) Blue + Green = Cyan (Easily)

Yellow + Magenta = Red

Blending yellow and magenta, is an interesting exercise of mixing colors with AR3. Magenta is the result of mixing red and violet. A careful mix of magenta with yellow, can result in several different hues: grayish colors, greenish colors (yellow + blue), purple colors (blue + red), and also blueish colors, as you can see in Figure 1, obtained folowing those happy blending results.

To obtain a red color (Figures 2 and 3) without a grayish or greenish aspect, mixing yellow and magent should be done with the spatula, gradually blending, until we get a red color. I am including here a video showing how to make this mixture.

SEE VIDEO HERE HOW TO DO IT

Thank you
    Last edited by Lima; 06-08-2010 at 10:25 AM.

I'm unable to replicate this on my end. Can you confirm a few things for me? Are you using RCB (Real Color Blending)? Is your Yellow (RGB:255,255,0) and your Mageneta (RGB:255,0,255)? I ask because your yellow to me looks a bit red shade to start with. On my system if I use those RGB's I'm green and grey in the mix and can't get anything like what you're showing. However, with a red shade yellow, I have more luck and can at least approximate it, though I'm still having trouble getting that saturated red. Any more info you can supply would be appreciated.

Interesting experiment, indeed, is good to find out which blending tool
    is good to obtain good clean colors in the end.I will look further the thread.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Nimajneb, yes I have been concerned with the characteristics of those colors. Those traces of orange, represent the color cadmium yellow. This is the key to correctly mix yellow with magenta.

The saturated yellow that we see in the color picker, is not a pure yellow ... It contains traces of green and this prevents a proper mix with magenta, resulting in those shades of gray. By the way, see this fantastic discussion in this old thread from 2003 in respect of this mixture done in WetCanvas about mixing yellow with magenta. It is worth reading.

The mixtures I made were done with oil brush or with the knife in the blending mode. I did not use the knife in Blur mode in these experiments. See figure below.

See also this very interesting film. It's worth seeing.

The magenta color is a funny color ... see what is written here on this page about this color.

I certainly will return to this subject.

Danny thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ah, now this is interesting. I DL'd this image and sampled your magenta as well. It's not what for lack of a better word I'll call "numeric" Magenta either. And when I use your colors I get your results. Interesting, very interesting. This really makes me wonder what's happening under the hood with AR and RCB. Perhaps it's more accurate than I gave it credit for. Is it somehow simulating the CMY pigments described in your article? I wonder.

Which leads me to my next question. You've assigned these RGB values to Cadmium Yellow and your Magenta. The proof of their veracity is in the results of your blending which leads me to wonder where the values for them came from? I'm a photoshop guru in my day job, pre-press and retouching, so what I'm curious about is how they were chosen. Did you eyeball it with a paint swatch and your monitor? Did someone do L*a*b readings on some paint vendors product and then extrapolate the values into RGB (sRGB). If that was all greek to you, then I suspect not. I know that AR isn't color managed, so maybe the "looks right" answer will be the most likely.

Dear Oriane, A colorful and interesting discussion, really enjoyed it! also loved the music in this video> "See also this very interesting film. It's worth seeing.", the song is very familiar and lovely!, regarding the yellow-red-magenta, just an idea i have always had, all the colors are always there, the Rainbow of colors, daylight or darkness or somewhere in between changes the colors we see, am thinking the red is always there, the yellow filters out the blue from the magenta and reveals the red, sort of like having yellow glasses on,,,, like Cardinals in the shade, they are only red when the Sunlight shines on them,,how glorious!!!!!! just a thought, but love your colors tutorials !!! xox

ps, was able to get Orianes red from his yellow magenta colors,
    Last edited by Lee; 06-03-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Nimajneb, I guess you're right. To achieve these parameters colors, yellow and magenta, I used only the method of trial and error. I changed every color, little by little, until I approached the mix I wanted. I'm posting Figures A and B explaining, perhaps, what happens. The figures are almost self-explanatory, although they may seem complicated.

Lee, very nice your comment. It seems more an original poem of colors. You are right about the blue. The music of the film is Cinema Paradiso - music by Ennio Morricone, a jazzy version played by musician Chris Botti
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGB.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	45517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RED_002 cópia.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	45518  

Dear Oriane, Thank You, it is a beautiful melody!xox

After the release of AR3, a controversy was created regarding the mixture of yellow and magenta, resulting in the formation of gray color. The color magenta is by itself a controversial color. There is much difficulty understanding this color, by painters, as well as by photographers, as can be seen in these discutions:

(1) Color mixing confusion amongst painters
    (2) Color mixing confusion amongst photographers

Both links contain interesting and important information about this matter and color.

See two short films showing how to mix yellow and magenta to get red.
    Movie 1: Yellow + Magenta = Red
    Movie 2: Yellow + Magenta = Red, other techniques

There is also a small controversy over the color cyan. I'll give my opinion here:

1. Highly satured blue and green blend to result in dark cyan, Figure 1.
    2. Saturated blue cut down with white and blended with saturated green result in light cyan, Figure 2.
    3. The particular green color blended with Certain blues, result in saturated cyans, Figures 3.

Thank you very much.

If you mix saturated blue and green, you get a dark cyan color. The same colors (blue and green with a little tint of white, when mixed result in cyan. See figure below.

See also this little ArtRage test film Here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyan.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	45601