ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size do you use for your pictures?

What size do you use for your pictures?

Good morning everyone

I was wondering at what size everyone is doing their paintings. Are those in the gallery original size or do you resize them afterwards?

I for myself usually use 2000 px or more on the small side with my biggest being something like 7000x5000 (don't remember exactly and I can't check right now since I'm at work). Biggest problem with it is the memory even tho I have 2gigs.

So what about you?

I would say I generally work around the same sizes, but I use as few layers as possible to keep artrage running smooth.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

hmmm i too i work normaly betwenn 2500 x 1500 and 3000 x 1800...
    i have no serious problems with the performance even with 20 layers...
    only airbush (with wacom, i think checking the tilt angle and pressure are very slow) is very slowely! in the new version i can run also 6000 x 4000 without serious problems...

PS: is a dualcore 2,8ghz and 2 gb ram...

greez
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Currenty i work in 1024 by 768. Yes, it is way to small but i have a 15" LCD monitor at the moment so untill i upgrade to a 19" i will then do larger resolutions. Due to the fact that dell makes junk monitors i had not been motivated to do much art lately.

Shoot, i have only 512 of DDR Ram. I need min of 2 Gigs.

well, if you think dell makes junk monitors I can gladly prove you wrong.

I have the 24" and it is of outstanding quality, especieally considered it's price. It has since I got mine had one update which looks pretty awesome too, and the top Dell 30" monitor even beats the comparable Mac monitor in several tests. Some say the two are based on the same panel, but I don't know for sure.

I normally avoid Dell products if I can, but the monitors I can only say good things about.
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Quote Originally Posted by PVIllustration
    well, if you think dell makes junk monitors I can gladly prove you wrong.

I have the 24" and it is of outstanding quality, especieally considered it's price. It has since I got mine had one update which looks pretty awesome too, and the top Dell 30" monitor even beats the comparable Mac monitor in several tests. Some say the two are based on the same panel, but I don't know for sure.

I normally avoid Dell products if I can, but the monitors I can only say good things about.
    Ditto....

Dell monitors are a really good deal for the money and usually have pretty good color matching. I have a 21" CRT paired with my Cintiq and have absolutlely no complaints. I prefer the CRT over the LCD but soon I think I wont have a choice anymore :cry:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    The truth is this to me...and that to thee.

Well, i guess i am abit picky about there LCDs. I have not seen a good one yet. I always heard good things about Samsungs. Has dell improved in recent years because what i usually see is blacks not being pure blacks and yellows being more orange or green and not yellow. Also the lamps displace the way the LCD is lit from behind so it always threw my eyes off with brightness/contrast issues.

I know the best are LaCie and afew other brands i can not think of at the moment. Ofcourse they are very expensive. :shock:

I don't mean to sound harsh to dell but i have had so many hardware troubles that these events made me doubts dell's level of quality control.

What about LG? I hear alot of good things coming from this korea based company.

:? yeah i have also a dell 20" 16:10
    i very happy with it but when i see my images on a crt i can truly see the disadvanteges as not pure black... too bright and well some false colors! but i love it for now...

greez
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

well, since you ask if Dell has gotten better in recent years I suggest that you search the internet for reviews on the dell monitors available. I did, when I was about to get one and it was fast to see that Dell actually won many of those comparions. Even compared with much more expensive monitors like the Apple one (which by many graphics artists are considered the best, unless you have a really huge wallet).

Mind you, all LCD screens have flaws. Dell ones have too. Some LCD screens are too slow on updating. Some, like you say, shows black or white as near grey or lack contrast, and some can't be viewed optimal from an angle greater than 100 degrees. Some tints colors in warm nuances, some in cold. And when you go to screensizes larger than 20", the problems just seems to get bigger, just like the crt screens once did.

But,

LCD screens also get better with each generation and the problems of the LCD nature gets smaller and smaller. I've been very happy with my 24" Dell monitor so far and would happily get another one if needed - hopefully not for a long time.
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Yes, i have been doing much research and still more to go. Not only do i have to see what produces the best color accuracy at a reasonable price range but what get's the least amount of repair recalls for lastability.

I agree that the LCD technology is getting better and there is even talk of Organic LCD Displays and other intreasting technologys being researched. I am an electrician by trade and i am even reading about LCD Light Bulbs being the standard one day over the current Compact Flourescents. Neat stuff.

I am probably thinking about painting at poster size say somewhere along the lines of 3000 by 3000 pixels or so. I want to do some cool poster size work eventually. I used to draw on poster paper all of the time back in jr high school so to get back into this digitally would be nice.