ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Knife Edge direction

Knife Edge direction

When using the palette knife on the edge setting to make curves and circles, sometimes the flat part of the stroke appears on the inside of the curve, and sometimes on the outside. Making, for example, bubbles by tracing a circle... sometimes it works to go clockwise, and sometimes it needs to go counter-clockwise. I've varied the pen tilt, checked that i wasn't pushing down on the buttons on the pen.. still, it appears to be random. I'm sure there's something I'm missing... Hope I explained this well. thanks

Clockwise motions should end up with the edge on the outside, anticlockwise with the edge on the inside. There's no other way to control this at this point. Let me know if that's not what you're seeing there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I just did 4 clockwise circles and had had three with the edge outside and one with the edge inside. Counterclockwise gave me a couple of each.

Other than keeping my fingers ready to hit ctrl-z when one comes up wrong, I'm not sure what I can do with it. Not a big deal to do that really, but wondered if the pen tilt or something else affected it.

My tablet is nothing fancy (Genius Mouse Pen) but for the most part it serves my needs well. But it could be something to do with that.

Thanks for that. It shouldn't relate to the model of tablet as we don't really do anything tablet-specific with this side of things. One thought: Check that you are moving your stylus in the direction of the circle before you touch it to the tablet to see if that gives more consistent results.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

yes, that seems to be it! Starting the stroke just slightly before touching the pen to the pad seems to set it in the right direction. very cool, thanks.