ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Moving stencils

Moving stencils

I use AR Studio (not pro, darn it) and have a question about moving stencils.
    Is there a way to make really fine-tuned movements when i'm wanting exact placement? I was hoping the arrow keys would do this but they don't.
    Also, if i've moved the stencil out of the way and done a bunch of other stuff, is there any way (aside from undoing everything done since) that I can snap the stencil right back in place again?

Thanks.

In Pro, you can use the arrow keys to move the stencil -- by first clicking on the Transform tool, then clicking on the stencil itself. Would this work in Studio as well?

I don't know if there is a way to snap a stencil back in place, but it may be more convenient to hide/unhide the stencil rather than moving it.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Sorry MaryLou, but AR2.5 doesn't have a feature for shifting the stencils by small movements, nor is there a way to shift a stencil back to exactly where you moved it from. However... You can hide the stencil from view, by bringing up the stencil panel and selecting the Active category (located right at the top, left). Once selected, you'll see thumbnails of all the stencils you have on your canvas and you may choose which ones you'd like to hide or show. This way, you can leave a stencil in place, but hide it for a moment to work around it, until it is needed again.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I didn't know how to find them if they were hidden, so I just didn't hide them.
    This should solve my problem then, thank you.

If you're using ArtRage studio and want fine placement control with a stencil:

1/ Select the transform tool in the tool picker
    2/ Click on the stencil you want to manipulate, you'll see some handles appear around it
    3/ Use the arrow keys to move your stencil in one pixel increments, or shift + arrow key to move it in 10 pixel increments.

This works in both studio and studio pro. Hope that's what you're looking for!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you! I tried the transformation thing, and it works exactly as I needed.
    I'm also using the hide stencil feature now that I didn't know about before.
    This has been a great help.