ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish list for the next ArtRage

Wish list for the next ArtRage

I love to have the following tools added to the next version of ArtRage...

1) Skew tool ... presently I export my AR painting to a TIFF and import it into Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements to perform a simple skew...

2) Vector pen tool if possible - if not I can live with out it..

3) Symmetry tool like Sketchbook Pro would be awesome....

4) Blending tools like Painters add water...

This isn't a crit of AR just wanting to make an awesome app even more awesome...

Cheers

Ken

For number 4 - blenders.
    Have you experimented with the wet blending option of the palette knife in ArtRage Studio Pro?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

artrage is excellent at blending. The watercolor layer of painter is damn right confusing and slow, compared to rage's watercolor dynamics.

I would second the vector pen suggestion. Just copy the one that is the best right now- paint tool sai's inking (pseudo-vector) layers. Vectors are good for tracing (inking), but are no good at direct drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    For number 4 - blenders.
    Have you experimented with the wet blending option of the palette knife in ArtRage Studio Pro?
    Andy, no I haven't... I'll give it a rip...

thanks a bunch....

Quote Originally Posted by blurymind View Post
    artrage is excellent at blending. The watercolor layer of painter is damn right confusing and slow, compared to rage's watercolor dynamics.

I would second the vector pen suggestion. Just copy the one that is the best right now- paint tool sai's inking (pseudo-vector) layers. Vectors are good for tracing (inking), but are no good at direct drawing.
    I guess if we get an ink pen vector tool we will next want a "stroke to path" option....LOL

I wish I knew Inkscape better....

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    For number 4 - blenders.
    Would that be the Hard Wet Blender?

Yeah palette knife tool works amazing in ArtRage.

I think, for AR 4, maybe there could be brush tip customization. So far AR works real but just a tiny bit 'digital' on the brush tip, especially for the oil brush.

Quote Originally Posted by blurymind View Post

I love the ink pen tools in AR and in some ways I think they maybe superior to Photoshop's or Paint Shop Pro's vector pen tool but they (PS & PSP ink tools) are a better choice when you want precision... Are you suggesting SAI is better? I must download a demo or trial of SAI...

Cheers

Ken

Multiple documents

As good as AR is (and not only is it good, it's also lots of fun), here are some of the things that make me go between AR and Photoshop or Painter in my work:
    1. masks - not stencils, as these are not editable, but like the ones in PS or Painter, where you can mask parts of an image non-destructively using all the painting tools available;
    2. the ability to open multiple documents at once and copy-paste between them;
    3. previewing (and outputting) images in CMYK - invaluable for print;
    4. AR seems somehow unable to draw very short strokes - it renders them randomly either as a slightly longer stroke or as a point. That makes techniques like hatching tedious and irritating. I must say Painter - which is much more complex and unintuitive in many other areas - does a better job at this;
    5. AR lacks a sort of preview panel (like the Navigator in PS), where you'd be able to have a smaller, thumbnail-style, view of your entire image, regardless of the part of the image you're currently working on;

Of course, there are a lot of other tools in Photoshop - like the vector tools - that could expand the range of what you could do in AR, but they would make it overly complex and unintuitive. And the real-world analogies of AR's tools and the straightforward way they work are the program's main strength, one that makes it a real pleasure to use. But masks... add them to AR, and I'll love it even more...

Mikolaj

Drippy Watercolors

I am amazed with the watercolors and love working with them. The one thing I miss is pooling and runny washes. Would be great if these elements could be added to the watercolor series. Salt, for texture is another.

Cheers,
    Karen