ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: all my artwork gone

all my artwork gone

i don't know if its a program bug - i doubt it seriously - but all my artrage artwork that i saved on a little usb disc... its all gone. the files are corrupted, they have file names like:

::╛u╩.0P

and other apparently random characters as file types and names. even the folders that were in my artwork folder on this toshiba 16 gb thinggy are screwed up. they all had names in english, and were regular artrage files and .jpgs and .gifs and stuff. none of the renamed files will open, because there isn't any way to open a .0P file... it's not a real file type, and even if it were, they aren't all .0P files now... it's all weird.

all my other data on other jump discs are fine. things that were not in my "jes artwork" folder on the toshiba disc are fine (photographs and text documents), only my artrage artwork is gone.

ironically, i started saving all the good stuff on the jump disc so that i wouldn't loose all my artwork in case of catastrophic computer failure (which happened with our old computer several years ago).

so, what can i do to recover it? is it an artrage bug of some kind? was there a virus that targeted artrage files?

i'm pretty computer illiterate, so i dunno what to do here, other than cry a lot, but that won't fix anything.

There isn't a bug in ArtRage that could do that, and I'm not aware of any virus that would (or could) target only ArtRage-made files.
    It's more likely your USB drive is getting flakey, or that you unplugged it during a write operation the something in your directory structures got broken.

If you can fine a tech person in the Real World, let them have a look at it - they might be able to rescue the files if it's only the directory structure that's a bit screwed.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I find some usb thumb drives to be very flakey....

I' paranoid about backups...

I save all of my digital paintings, 3D renderings and photos to a directory structure on my computer internal hard drive (500 gb)

ie: E:\IMAGES\CAR PHOTOS, E:\IMAGES\ARTRAGE, E:\IMAGES\PAINTER, E:\IMAGES\3DRENDERS

Using Microsoft's free util Synctoy, I copy E:\IMAGES and it's sub folders to an external hard drive (Seagate 1.5 tb drive S S:\backups\IMAGES

I also have a second 1tb hard drive Lacie on drive H:

I also use Synctoy to backup my S:\backups\IMAGES to H:\BAKS\IMAGES

I also burn every thing to 2 DVD copies (I try to buy TDK or Verbatim for my media). I also use QPAR on the files before they are burned...

QPAR is free & creates a series of files in your directory which allows you to recover a file or two if it gets corrupt...

For examle if you had a folder with 100 photos and you ran QPAR against the files, it would allow you to recover a file or two (uncertain what the limit is) should one get deleted or corrupt... Please remember to save your QPAR files in the same folder as your photos or images are in....

QPAR - download it here...
    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

SYNCTOY
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Cheers

Ken

Definately the usb drive. I was given one once where I tried to BU some music. When I tried to access it, I got Corrupted fil notice. I use an external HD for everything I BU
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Thumb drives should only be used to transport a file from work to home.... It's a transient type of media and not meant to be permanent...

I feel your loss....

thank you all for your help.

Andy: well, i'm glad it wasn't that ...well, kind of. i was almost hoping it was, and that y'all had written a fix for it. lol.

Ken: most of that was lost on me, but i do get the general gist of it: store it in multiple locations in multiple ways, never trust just one source to keep it.

Skylar & Sweedie: well, now's a fine time for people to tell me it's a bad idea to store my stuff on them. XD i'd never heard it was a bad idea to store them that way.

Sweedie: oh, yes, i definitely promise. i'll probably go ahead and be transferring all my photos and what artwork i still have to DVD, and looking to buy an external hard drive as soon as possible. and everything i make i'm remotely attached to will get uploaded here, or on DA, or on Elftown.

Are you on a Mac or Windows computer? There are utilities for each that can sometimes rescue some or all of the data (If you haven't already, and your on a Mac, try to use Disk Utility on it to repair it; the Windows equivalent would depend somewhat on what version of windows you've got).

There are also commercial applications that can attempt to pull data out from the shadows of corruption, although I've only used demo's of those.

i'm using windows vista, not sure if it's the 32 or 64 though. if you have anything i could try, at this point i couldn't express how grateful i'd be. lol. just "renaming" the files didn't work.

apparently taking the disc somewhere for professional data recovery is out of the question, the starting price in my area is $130 USD. if i ever had made money on my artwork, it might be worth it, but since i never have, i can't justify the cost (or come up with that kind of dough.).