ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Photos As Stencils

Red face Photos As Stencils

If this has been posted before, please just link me to the answer. I cannot seem to find anything in the manual regarding creating a stencil from a photo.

If I use the Export Image file to layer command, and then on the layer choose New Stencil from Layer Contents I get only a red border around the photo. Must you only use a painted image to create a stencil or can photos be used as well, I think I may be missing a step.

Thanks so much,
    Karen

Hi Karen,

No problem, here's how you can do that:

If you have an image file you want to use as a stencil, open the Stencils panel, then click the menu button ( top right ) and choose 'Select Stencil from disk'. You can then browse to your photo and open this as a stencil.

If you decide you want to add the photo to your Stencils collection to reuse at a later date, right click the new stencil on your canvas and choose 'Store Stencil in Collection'.

You can then choose which category to save the file in within your stencils folder.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you so much, I had a hunch this was the answer. So in essence, if you have a photo on a layer it cannot be turned into a stencil. However, if I paint something on a layer it can be.

Thanks much!

Karen

That's right. Basically when you have any content on a layer, and make a stencil out of it, the stencil goes around your content. So, with a photo, ArtRage sees a block of media and puts a frame around the entire thng as there are no transparent parts. When you place down some paint strokes, as there are transparent bits around the strokes, the stencil takes that into account.

When you load an image directly off disk, ArtRage assumes that the black parts are transparent, the white parts are the solid 'plastic' of the stencil, and everything in between is semi-transparent, so will allow some paint through.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Ok, Thank you Very Much

Warmest wishes,
    Karen