ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: tries to reinstall when opening .ptg file

Question tries to reinstall when opening .ptg file

Until a couple days ago, I was able to click on any .ptg file I have and it would automatically open in ArtRage Studio. Suddenly, and with nothing changed that I'm aware of, every time I click on a .ptg file it pops up a window trying to install the Artrage .exe all over again.

I can still open the .ptg files by opening Artrage first and then importing them.
    I've rebooted with no difference, and have backed up all my "resources" that i've collected just in case it reinstalls and wipes them out.

Any advice? Thanks.

What OS are you using? With Vista, I know if one tries to move, delete or rename one of the default program files (be it a stencil, sticker, preset, etc...) the file association for the program becomes unrecognized. Have you changed the name of, or deleted any files around the time it began happening? If it is due to the problem above, it is one the ArtRage team are familiar with and have mentioned they are working to fix for the next update.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

that happens to me when try to open the artrage file from outside the programme. I am using vista

I had that same issue, uninstalled and reinstalled Artrage - worked fine after that.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Thank you for responding so quickly.
    I have Vista.
    It could be that I rearranged some of my stencils and brushes as I've collected more of them.

this strange behaviour of ArtRage (opening ptg files from within ArtRage works but attempts to open them via right clicks on ptg files in explorer do not) is ALSO caused by a buggy installler of ArtRage

as a lot of other Windows software the ArtRage installer is not prepared for the case that ArtRage is used with different accounts on the same Windows machine and that these accounts even may have reduced rights (as safer computing rules suggest)

in the case of ArtRage there is an easy workaround for the given problem:

just reinstall ArtRage for any user that intends to use it (while being logged in as that user); ArtRage recognizes that it was already installed and offers a repair install; do that; the first time you then start it by right clicking on a file with extension ptg it does some "maintenance" and afterwards it even works fine under restricted accounts

of course this problem should be fixed in the ArtRage installer but until then this should help...

- Clemens
    Last edited by cbeckstein; 05-16-2010 at 08:17 PM.

The 3.0.7 installer which should be available shortly addresses this issue, it related to how the Windows Installer monitors installed files when you have an automatically registered file type (yes, it's as arcane as it sounds!).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.