ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artrage running on 10" netbook?

Artrage running on 10" netbook?

Could anyone who has tried Artrage on a 10" screen with tablet functionality please comment?

I'm curious of a 10" screen seems too cramped for running Artrage.

Also, I'm wondering if the Intel Atom Processor N270 is sluggish running Artrage or if it runs acceptably.

Hi there runningbull! I don't have a tablet netbook but I have a 10" Samsung N140 (with 2GB of ram and Windows 7 Professional) and I run ArtRage Studio Pro on it : I was expecting it to be very sluggish but it behaved quite good. People is usally saying awful stuff about netbooks but some of them are very handy machines.

You should of course paint with resolutions that are not too high,and try to have few layers. The netbook is not enough powerful for painting high res or complex projects but it is absolutely enough for sketching and painting with ArtRage when you travel

These for instance were painted with my netbook :
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=26339
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=26848
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=26531

I running AR SP on a Motion Computing LE1600 slate tablet PC running XP tablet edition with 1.5gb RAM and it works great. No performance issues so far and I use mostly the WC presets.

~John

PS

I usually hide the panels when painting to give more space on the 12" screen.

Andrea,
    Your drawings are wonderful. I also enjoyed your website tutorials.

John, thanks for the hide panels suggestion. Do you think 10" would be too small?

Hi runningbull, below is a 100% screen shot (1024x600px ) of ArtRage running on a netbook (Toshiba N200, Atom N280, 1GB RAM, 2.1 Windows experience index rating) if that helps.

I normally work (doodle/play!) at the native screen size and also flick the panels off and on for more space. I tend to have most pallets set to 75%.

One thing I have noticed though, is the battery life is a lot shorter compared with just typing. Obvious really, but ArtRage is a heck of a lot more fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	netbookscreen.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	44987  

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    One thing I have noticed though, is the battery life is a lot shorter compared with just typing. Obvious really, but ArtRage is a heck of a lot more fun.
    Thats interesting... and yes I it makes sense that it would do.But its good to know so that when choosing a Tablet/Netbook (like I am) it would be a good idea to go for one with more battery life.

My Samsung N140 is reported to have 11h of battery, though with normal usage (wi-fi on, watching movies, editing documents, some artrage, some gaming) I usually get maximum to a bit more of 8h in total :P

By the way I think that when using processing power intensive applications like ArtRage it is better to stay with power adapter plugged on and the system set on maximum performance -- that's it being plugged is an acceptable option of course, since we are talking of a very portable computer

Good points.I am still trying to decide on whether to get a great Tablet PC, a Netbook (something like yours) or just get a more powerful desktop (which costs the same a a good tablet PC).I would like to be portable but want some quality as well. Good to know that you are happy with your Netbook though... gives me more to think about...

I bought my netbook cos I often travel in Russia and that means never-ending bus/train trips My 15.4 notebook was too heavy and battery was lasting only 1:30h, so I felt that a netbook was enough for most of my needing.

If you don't need battery to last a lot you can probably buy some 15.4" notebook that has more power and will be a better machine for working and painting

I am not a fan of touch-screens and even of cool stuff like Wacom Cintiq, by the way :P

I appreciate your perspective so thanks for your input
    I have never actually used a Tablet PC - but I was imagining that it would be cool to not have to carry a wacom tablet around with me - and only have to flip the tablet screen around and pull out a stylus and get going

I don't know about you, but I cant draw with a mouse - so I think this would mean carrying a notebook plus a small wacom tablet. And since I don't plan to hike up the Himalayan mnts in this way, its OK and the weight is less of an issue for me.
    But an overall compact kit is nicer.

And no, I probably wont be away from a power source for too long - but it would be nice for journeys for instance - to have about 5hrs battery time.

I was interested to hear your take on the screen size though... I am used to a 22" monitor and I worry a bit about feeling cramped with such a small screen such as 10".