Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing transparent layers

Gallery
    View images

Importing transparent layers

I'm working with multiple programs including ArtRage.

If I have scanned artwork on a white background, I know I can import it as a Tracing Image, and then Convert Tracing Image To Paint On This Layer to make it into a layer.

Then I can switch it to Multiply Mode, and that seems to work -- but what I really want to do is eradicate the white background on the newly imported image. I've tried adding a new transparent layer to merge with the scanned artwork layer, but the white background stubbornly comes back.

Is there some way I can get around this? I like to avoid using any funky layer blending modes due to the extra CPU load required to perform display updates, and I also want to be able to merge my linework layers(to save memory and CPU) with other layers and not have the white background contaminate/interfere with them.

Gallery
    View images
    Your best option would be to use another application to convert the white background to transparency, prior to loading it into ArtRage.

ArtRage can import PSDs and PNGs with transparency. Also ArtRage supports transparency in loaded tracing images.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Good enough for me. Maybe I can make a command-line app that will nuke the white background...

Gallery
    View images
    There is a free Photoshop Plugin called Eleminate White and it should delete any white backround revealing the layer benieth. The bad part is i have no idea were to get it but if you do a google search it should turn up hopefully.

Gallery
    View images

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there

Im new to Artrage

The Eliminate White filter do not load on mac 3.5.4 studio Pro.

???

Michael

Gallery
    View images
    Make sure that you have unzipped the Mac file they provide for the filter to a folder ( It looks like you'd need stuffit to unzip it as it's an sit archive ). In ArtRage, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Filters and make sure that you add the folder containing the unzipped filter. Restart ArtRage.

Filters will appear in Edit -> Filters. If the filter doesn't appear there or doesn't work correctly, then unfortunately the Mac version is not compatible. Filters are written to a range of standards, so some filters will not work.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Dave

I have done already what you have said.

So Im out of luck this time.

Thanks again

Michael

Gallery
    View images
    I read elsewhere in the forum about Mark McLaren's "MAC's Remove White". I use the "Remove White" filter on the layer after I import the image. I'm on Windows 7, but maybe this other product will load on your Mac 3.54 Studio Pro?

Gallery
    View images
    Maybe you don't need to remove it. Have you tried changing the blend mode for the imported image layer to "Multiply", and setting it above the rest of your layers?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.