ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Fireflies

1. Fireflies

Hello everyone. I hope you are all fine.

It's firefly season where I live and it is so inspiring to look out the window late at night. This is my idea of what a firefly would look like if it were a cartoon character. I feel like they have little suits on. I love the whole reference pics idea in ArtRage. Hopefully, he'll survive the inking process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glow.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	44935  

Your character is faultless, believe to me
    You can do an additional mimicry by a back part of a paunch.
    - I do not know as it correctly in English sorry
    Your work - perfectly well!
    Last edited by Mike Severoff; 05-16-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

dont forget about 2 extra legs. i used to draw cows with no horns and i didnt realise what was wrong with them
    i love to draw cartoons and now you taugh me that maybe i should at least look for a while at the photo of the animal im drawing thank you for that tip) and your little bug looks really cool and friendly. i like its hat and massive legs. cool))
    r

4. @McKlay Thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm glad you're liking the character. Could you ellaborate on the back part of a paunch thing?

@rozalek You are right about it missing a pair of legs. I must have redrawn those legs a thousand times before being happy with them, and I found out that it just doesn't look good with either four legs or four arms. Ok, it's possible, but it ends up looking like a supporting character. In the end I dropped them so that his poses look more natural and he looks more like the hero of our story. Also, on them being massive. He really looks disproportionate if I make them thinner or more insect like. I tried.

As for the reference pics, I've always drawn what comes to mind, but I tell you that that feature of ArtRage is so useful. Even for ideas. For example, I came up with the hat idea because I think that the actual insect has like a helmet for a head. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your input!

so that little guy is a part of a story? what is it about. yes you are right about the legs but you know with 6 legs he could to more things at the same time)

6. He could indeed rozalek, I might give him a couple of hidden extra hands under his little vest. The story? Well, it's a story about a journey into adulthood. His goal; to be able to glow! What fears does he have to conquer? We'll find out!

Here's a quick update after doing some base colouring. I'm going for a 20's 30's Italian-American mood.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rindolphus; 05-21-2010 at 07:44 PM.

he looks cool and seems to be friendly and good in its heart. i like your choice of the chocolate colours.
    and the concept that it will learn how to glow is really original. ive never heard of the idea like this. you know all the patterns- birds learning to fly and so one and here is a completely new wayi like it. i hope you will show us the background or him doing some action im looking forward.
    good luck with your work!

8. Thank you very much rozalek. I like it that you can "see" the kindness in his heart. That means he looks alive and not mechanical. As for the story, it's at a very early stage of development, but it seems that it hasn't been done yet. Has it? Perhaps there's something there.

Been experimenting with a technique I just learned to add depth to my character. Can't seem to nail it, though. Do you all like where this is going?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rindolphus; 05-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.

9. And here it is that technique combined with the usual way I do tones. What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by rindolphus; 05-28-2010 at 08:59 AM.

hi for me both illustrations look really good so it depends on the background which one to choose- the first one is sharper and the second looks milder and softer. maybe the second one is a little bit too dark so the guy looks kind of sad. i would think of putting some really white shade on his buttocks- you know as you have it on your reference picture on the bugs wings covers) but maybe im wrong casue i tend to overuse this effect and i love to put white light marks everywhere)