ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert scene

Desert scene

I imagined this as a barren desert scene with a person floating above and watering the desert. However I cannot seem to make the person float above the scene. I added plants to try to show the plants anchored with shadows, then added a old tree anchored with a shadow, but I can not seem to make the person appear to float. Any ideas how that is done?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Man floating above desert 4-10 jpg small.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	479.5 KB 
ID:	44488  

This is really great as it is. I think I see what you mean, though. It tricked me at first, and I suspect the reason he does not appear to be floating at first is because his legs are in a position normally associated with standing on the ground. So your eye assumes that he is. If he was sitting Buddha-style or maybe legs swept back like he was flying? But actually I liked the discovery of finally realizing that he wasn't touching the ground. The water stream drew me to that with its connected shadow. Really interesting work - concept and execution.

This is an awesome piece, i love its surreal feel.
    RankAm has a fantastic suggestion too.
    I believe the disconnection between his body and his shadow does give the feeling of floating.
    I was thinking that perhaps as he was further away from his shadow it would become less sharp. Perhaps a feathered edge might help on the shadow. I've attached a quick fudged together version to show you what i mean. You'd need to do the water too if this idea appeals to you (which i've not done in the example)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I agree with Juz, your shadows are much sharp and too detached from the feet. But it's a great work, I like it very much
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

RankAm, you thought enough of my work to make it your first post on the forum. Thank you for your ideas. I am going to make another layer and try them.

Juz, Thank you for taking the time to show me the example. I am going to work with that when I change the posture of the man.

Some really great ideas!! They all really help. I was stumped and couldn't think of what else to try.
    Carl

You're most welcome Carlcath, I look forward to seeing where you take future incarnations of this fantastic concept.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

A very fine work, Carlcath! Im looking forward to seeing what you finally decide--as well as waiting for your next piece.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Yes the shadows seem a bit off. If you look at the angle of the shadow its awkward and is seems to have a different light source than the stumps shadow. A bit sharp too. but I really like the painting of the man, very good.

A different and interesting image. I think the view from the top down somewhat complicates the interpretation. If it were the contrary, perhaps the floating sensation was better observed. The idea of Ramka is good. The concept is absolutely staggering. Carl