ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiling / image wrap

Tiling / image wrap

I'm not sure if its too far from the concept of the program (being a traditional toolset) but it would be handy to have some sort of image wrap functionality for the creation of seamless canvas tiles for custom canvas textures or patterns within artrage.

e.g. It would be nice to grab a textured stickerbrush, have it paint off the right side and wrap to the left side and then be able to make this a custom canvas.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-23-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I made a video some time ago using ArtRage 2.5 demonstrating a way to make a seamless tile for use as a grain. It'll probably be a little easier to do with ArtRage Studios new tool sets. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSEF3sMq7k
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks someonesane i'm aware of how to do it but it would be easier and better for complex image tiles if the image wrapped like Painter especially for newer users. As it is currently its a lot easier to use the offset filter and clone tool in photoshop or the pattern image wrap functionality in painter which is the quickest and easiest way and also allows you to take your image of a cat and wrap that around the edges so complex pattern can be easily achieved.

Your way will work but its very time consuming in comparison to these other methods especially if one wants to make a seamless tile of something pictorial.

I will add that tutorial to the list though
    Last edited by Juz; 04-23-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Thanks someonesane i'm aware of how to do it but it would be easier and better for complex image tiles if the image wrapped like Painter especially for newer users. As it is currently its a lot easier to use the offset filter and clone tool in photoshop or the pattern image wrap functionality in painter which is the quickest and easiest way and also allows you to take your image of a cat and wrap that around the edges so complex pattern can be easily achieved.

Your way will work but its very time consuming in comparison to these other methods especially if one wants to make a seamless tile of something pictorial.

I will add that tutorial to the list though

Yes, I agree there are quicker ways. I just like showing ways a person can achieve the same goal with the program at hand, because some people don't have access to the more expensive programs.

Out of curiosity, how does Painters Image Wrap differ from something like ImageReady's Tile Maker?

Having a lot of experience with Macromedia products I tended to use Fireworks in preference to Imageready when adobe supported Imageready. From what little I know of imageready you were working with a pre-existing image and saying 'tile this' you'd fiddle with the edges percentage to get a better blend ..and usually would rescale your image to best fit the seamless tile with the 'resize tile to fill image' checkbox.

With painter its more like a 'live' tile. As you paint a stroke off the right edge it continues on the left edge, as you paint off the left edge it continues on the right edge. Same goes for the top and bottom of the tile. So if I took an image of tycho's head and place it at a corner it would display a quarter of the image at each corner with no resizing or blending. When painting with it you can use the space bar to scroll the tile around as you paint which means you can check the seamless quality of the tile as you are working and don't have to forego painting detail with blurring or cloning techniques.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-24-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Thumbs up Filter found

EDIT: Ok, so being a forum first-timer, I can't post the links with the url tag. Sorry.

Edit of the EDIT: Decided against the double-posting, this is the most current instance and the other threads appear to not have active users anymore.
    Last edited by TrooperDon; 07-05-2010 at 03:32 AM.

Good grief, how many posts do I need before I can add a URL?

I really do understand the need for control, I'm not upset or griping, I just want to share before I forget.

Is two enough?

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperDon View Post
    Good grief, how many posts do I need before I can add a URL?

I really do understand the need for control, I'm not upset or griping, I just want to share before I forget.

Is two enough?
    If you can just type the url out like this: www+whatevertheurlis+com, I'm sure people will get the idea. It's also likely a helpful member of the forums will post a properly formed link for you after the fact.

I love ArtRage, have been using it for a long time, and have missed the offset filter the entire time. With my upgrade to Pro I reaaaaally started wanting to integrate it into my 3D workflow so last night I spent about 3 hours surfing, digging and testing.

Since this thread was one of the results that popped up in my search, I wanted to come back and share what I finally found.

Unfortunately, both are Windows-centric as they require you to add DLLs into your system32 folder. Of course, I know just enough about my Mac to turn it on and run my apps, so maybe they do work there as well.

Both results are free filters, and very, very old so I'm guessing there's no support.

Three versions here - offset half the distance in X, offset half the distance in Y, offset half the distance in both X and Y:
    www+btinternet+com/~cateran/simple/

Slightly more advanced, allows specifying a pixel offset in X and Y, also has the half-distance versions:
    psp+tephras+com/filters/index.html

The second is my preference as a 3D artist, even with photo-sourced textures, I don't like to clone, mirror, blur, paste -whatever - it's too easy to spot. So for me, offsetting in various increments is very important so I can paint exactly where and how I want.

Anyway, that got long, but basically I hope this helps some other artists keep ArtRage in their toolbox more often!
    Last edited by TrooperDon; 07-05-2010 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks for the tip, Someonesane - got them in there. And yes, I'm padding my post count - sorry.