ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How 2 add new layer NOT to a group?

How 2 add new layer NOT to a group?

I have a group, which I have shut, but visible on the canvas.

When I hit "New" in the layer palette, I get a new layer within that group.

What I want is a new layer, not in any group at all. Just a layer.

Same when I select the menu item: "Add New Layer."

I see my closed layers group open up, and the new layer is there, highlighted in green.

So, can anyone tell me how to make a new layer which is NOT in a group?

thanks!

archer

Create the layer like you have been, then left click and drag it out of the group. After that, as long as you have that layer selected, adding a new layer will create a new layer above it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

OK!

that's easy enough to do..thank you!

archer

Hi archer
    A new layer is always created immediately above the current selected layer. So if you have a layer active within a group it will be created above and within the same group. If you have a layer active outside of a group it will be created above that layer.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Easiest rule for me, is always highlight the layer that I want to be just below the new layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Hi archer
    A new layer is always created immediately above the current selected layer. So if you have a layer active within a group it will be created above and within the same group. If you have a layer active outside of a group it will be created above that layer.
    OK, but how do you de-select a layer inside a group where you don't want your new layer to go? I see no way of doing this and tried various key clicks on active layers, but with no luck.

thanks!

a

The only way to create a layer outside of a group is to have a layer, which does not belong to a group, selected before clicking on the "new" layer button. Otherwise the layer being created will end up within the group of the layer that is selected, and will have to dragged out.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    OK, but how do you de-select a layer inside a group where you don't want your new layer to go? I see no way of doing this and tried various key clicks on active layers, but with no luck.

thanks!

a
    Clicking any layer outside of the group / tapping it with your stylus once will select it. Alternatively, you can use ctrl + up arrow to select the next layer, ctrl + down arrow to select the previous layer. Doing this will open your group though.

If you've placed a group at the top of your layer stack, and have a layer inside that group selected, adding a new layer will always add it to that group. In this case, you could click the last layer previous to the group, add a new layer and drag that above the group.

I hope that's of some help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design