ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Mind In The Morning

My Mind In The Morning

Hello, everyone. This is my first try after a long hiatus from art. An old Wacom Intuos 2 I've had in the closet for about ten years, and my new copy of ArtRage (which I love, love, LOVE by the way!). Can't say I'm satisfied with the result, but I sure am with the process. I'd forgotten how much fun drawing can be...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Mind In The Morning copy.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	44282  
    Last edited by Scribemike; 04-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.

I can relate to this very well

Nice cartoon! Are you using multiple layers for the coloring?

Quote Originally Posted by alkratzer View Post
    Are you using multiple layers for the coloring?
    Well, this was my first try with layers, so I discovered a little late how they work. The whole cartoon is three layers: the inked outline, the colors, and finally the light airbrushed background...umm... smudge, I guess you'd call it?

Anyway, I did the outline first, but I did it on the default non-transparent background layer because I didn't know any better, so I ended up having to declare that layer as a shadow, in order to get the outline to show up well without muting the colors underneath it.

Anyway, next time I'll just add a transparent layer immediately, and work on that. That way I should be able to shift whatever layers I have around as I need to without muting colors or fussing with layer types.

lol. All of which was a really long-winded way of saying, no, the color's just on a single layer.

Sorry about that, and thanks for the compliment.

Edit -- I just read about making a layer appear darker by duplicating it, and I really liked the way that worked out (helped with the outline graying out in spots), so technically the new drawing is now 4 layers: two outlines stacked right on top of each other, the color layer, then the smudge on the bottom.
    Last edited by Scribemike; 04-16-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Oh yes...I can relate to this too!

I think you might be catching onto the layer much faster than I - it was interesting to read you process. I have picked up a few hints. Thanks

It's perfect. I love it.

It's quite evident You are going to feel this hiatus in a very short time. It's like with swimming or biking, You never really forget completely how to .... Welcome!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Mike, Very nice! I look forward to more of your images.
    BTW, I found out by accident when I work with layers, they can be dragged also, just in the case that you need something to go into the background or foreground.

Wow, great work.

Scribemike,
    Laughing because I think your caricature may be that of a "universal"
    representation of how most people might look or at least feel the first
    thing in the morning. Much fun and very well painted!
    Mairzie Dotes