ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canvas Help!

1. Question Canvas Help!

Need some help making the canvas texture look less pixely. I'm trying to match the look I got with real pencil and paper (see second attached), but so far no luck. I think there are two issues...

1. On real paper, the texture can go away as you press harder, giving you nice black areas. No luck with that on Art Rage. Any suggestions to get that look? I've tried 0% roughness, but then the pencil looks more like a pen.

2. The pixelation of the canvas texture. No matter how small I put the grain size, the grains still seem too big and pixely. (I'm working on 6.5x10.5 inch at 300dpi). You can see what I mean on the first attachment.

I've also tried the cell setting, but it looses the pencilness. I want some texture, but just smaller grains. I've tried making my own with no luck.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	44197  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lightbulb Hi!

I do not know, but maybe these Sticker Spray Brushes could be useful?
    I made those with ArtRage 3 Studio Pro..

Tell me what you think?

Tone

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...light=charcoal

Hi,

Minimog16uk asked a similar question to this, where I posted a Paper Grain I created, along with Presets for the Pencil and the Palette Knife which I've set up to use with the grain. You can find them here:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=28232

Here's an example screen shot (note: the yellow line paper was just put there for effect):

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi Nureek ,
    I've created a nice sketchbook (cartridge) paper grain at 300dpi for use with high res images. It works beautifully with Someonesane's pencil preset without the need for blenders. There will be no pixelation as it was created at 300dpi and the pixels will not be stretched. Anything you download from here is at Screen Resolution so that may be part of your problem when taking them to a high res.

The grain is too large to post here so i've popped it up on my server for you at:-
    http://www.silicongraffiti.com/stuff...aper_grain.zip

I use it with around 20% Roughness and 0% grain size. If this is still too rough for your taste just go for a lower Roughness setting.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-15-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

5. Too many perfect choices!!! hehehe

Juz, love the texture. Thank you!

Someonesane, the presets are perfect. Great help! Thank you!

Creativetone, may I drool at your sticker spray brushes? And thank you as well!

I just noticed that the higher the tilt angle on the pencil, the more it brings out the grain. Good to know.

Thanks for all your help!

6. Just tested all of your suggestions and will end up using each of them to get the final product. Did a quick sketch and they worked like a charm!

*bows to the all-knowing ArtRage forum members* Thank you!!!

Great drawing and a wonderful thankyou Nureek
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Nureek, nice drawing.

There is two more Sticker Spray Shader Brushes.
    These maybe work better for shading large areas..

I made some test image to show how these could work... - drool...
    I used only these Big Graphite Shaders and my fave sketch tool Glutch Pen 1.

Thank you!

Tone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big_Graphire_Shader_Test_by_Tone.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	44271  
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. Tone....freak'n awesome! (Both the drawing and the stickers...love the drawing!) I was having problems getting large area shaded with your other stickers. Just tried the new ones and perfecto!

Thanks again!

Newbie to adding stickies. How do I download the .prs? Are they added to a special folder? TIA.
    Last edited by MikalaKula; 04-17-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    MikalaKula (Michele's Gold)
    http://www.rdh.com/gallery.htm