ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: If the need arises...

If the need arises...

I'm going to be starting a few digital oil paintings soon. I picked up Corel Painter X and was planning on using that as my software. However from what I've read the program certainly does have it's share of glitches.

Let's say I've completed 4 or 5 paintings in Corel Painter and then realized I want to switch to ArtRage instead. I don't suppose ArtRage will be able to open up a Corel Painter file would it? I believe the Painter program saves it in a .RIF format.

I suppose I could create a JPEG of my painting from the .RIF file and then would ArtRage be able to open it? But then I probably would not be able to paint on it but rather just view it.

If someone could answer these questions that would be cool.

Hey,
    when you drag your image in to Artrage you get then 4 option: inport the image to a new file or as a layer, create a reference or a tracing image
    choose layer and you can paint on it, scale it, ... use it as a normal layer you use in Artrage

hope that helps

If I remember right, Corel Painter X will allow you to save (or export) the image to a .PSD file type (which is a Photoshop extension). Since ArtRage can open PSD file extensions, your best bet would be to save the file that way and then import the file to ArtRage. This should allow you to maintain some of the layer information you may create.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend saving the file as a PNG or a TIFF (because they're lossless file types and won't degrade the image quality like a Jpeg will) and import that file into ArtRage using either the drag and drop method GekkouJin mentioned above or by selecting "Import Image File" from the File menu in ArtRage.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I've been reading about this .tif file format and how it is supposed to be a very high quality standard for images. Curiously I took two wallpaper images from the Windows folder and converted them to .tif files. I could see that the resulting image file was bigger but I did not see any perceptible difference in image quality between the two.

Maybe the difference is so small it's not perceptible to the eye?

The Tagged Image File Format (.tif, .tiff) will retain the image data of your original image. This is why you're not seeing a difference. If you save a .jpeg to a tif there is no data lost in that save.

If you start with a jpeg and save that off a lot of times as a jpeg each time data will will compressed and hence lost with each save. So after saving it a lot of times if you can compare it to a preserved original file you will definitely see a difference. There will be a softening of the image as a whole, colours will shift and depending on how much you compress it you may see more and more noise with each iterative save. Be aware that these changes show up more obviously in a print than on a monitor.

.rif is the native format for painter and will preserve the most painter specific information so its best to use that one while in painter but it will not export to other applications.

For your specific needs the .psd format is the best one as it preserves the most image data after the .rif (painter only filetype) layers transparency colour space etc are all supported within this format.

For more information on various file formats:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats
    Last edited by Juz; 04-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

As Juz said above, you won't see a difference by saving an already compressed image to a lossless file type. To see the differences, you should start with a high quality image and then save it as various file types for comparison. For example (I'll have to use PNG here, because the forums won't accept TIFF):

The picture on the left is a PNG file, while the picture on the right is the same image saved as a JPG (using ArtRages 20% quality compression for demonstration purposes).

Name:  1_PNG.png
Views: 96
Size:  70.8 KB Name:  1_JPG.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  2.1 KB

You should be able to see a noticeable difference in quality between the two images, with the image on the right (jpg) having a good deal of pixelation to it.

I still think saving a .PSD file type (and Juz seems to think the same) is the best way to go, because it should retain more file information (like layer data).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Well it's good to know that if I decide to jump ship from Painter to ArtRage that I can save my canvas as a PNG or TIFF and import it into ArtRage and continue working on it.