ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life and Death

Life and Death

This is a pencil drawing done in Art Rage 3. I used vaious knives to achieve the look I was after. I'm actually quite shy about my work, but I do appreciate any comments or advice; even negative ones, as long as they are honest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scenery Practice for mom.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	44150  

I've seen professional illustrations that weren't half as good.

wow

Quote Originally Posted by ageo View Post
    This is a pencil drawing done in Art Rage 3. I used vaious knives to achieve the look I was after. I'm actually quite shy about my work, but I do appreciate any comments or advice; even negative ones, as long as they are honest.
    Very dramatic, really sets a mood.

Some minor details you might consider. The sunlight coming through the clouds enter at different angles, which implies multiple light sources. If you were going for a traditional one sun approach, you would want to use the same location of the light source, so that the angles of the light rays all had the same vanishing point.

In the lower right foreground of the picture, the small tree seems to fade in front of the bright rock. I'm not sure if this is intended to be the glare of the bright rock, because the branch nearby does not seem to have the same level.

Of course, art is whatever someone has as a vision and "reality" is in the eye of the observer.

There is definitely something about the shot which holds my interest. Like I'm looking forward to turning the page and seeing what develops in the story.

Excellent definition of a mood, of a dramatic landscape.

Thank you both for your comments, I get quit nervous when others view my work.
    The matter of the sun, I thought I had achieved the look but going back through I would have to agree, the back two should have been tilted more except if the sun was sitting high in the mid-sky, which is what I was attempting...I believe that it would have been more powerful with the sun set further back.
    The branches I was attempting to have them fade in the brilliance of the sunlight, their darkness being cast or burned away like a shadow, but I do see where the one behind the rock should have been faded a little low.
    Again thank you so much for your comments, and the time it took to lend them to me.
    Sincerely,
    Al

Please don't feel nervous. The ArtRage forums may be one of the most supportive ways to share ones work.

I thought you might have been having the small branches fading in the glare, that was what it seemed like.

The works well being high in the sky.

Looking again, I like the detail in the clouds. A busy sky, and with a natural rendering.

Runningbull,
    I changed the lighting direction for the back two openings in the clouds. It works much better.
    Thanks, again, for the tips.

All I can say is wow this is great
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

not in to landscapes but it frighten's me to death but I like the couple dancing

sorry I got mixed up the couple dancing was from mannafig

Talking

Ageo sorry but looking again I know what frightened me I hope you don't mind me saying but it was the look of the shroud at the front that got me sorry