ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Knife tool picks up white from edge of transparency

Knife tool picks up white from edge of transparency

I have a layer with locked transparency and a hard edge between what is transparent and what is not.

I'm finding when I use knife against the transparent edges it picks up white from the edge.

This is obviously an unwanted effect. Is there something I can do it stop it behaving this way?
    Last edited by microUgly; 04-11-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Misspellng in title

Got the same behavior here ... I did not found any solution yet ...

Maybe this will work:

1. Click on the menu tab for the layer with the paint.
    2. Select the New Stencil From Layer Contents option for the menu.
    3. Blend the colors as needed.

Just for information purposes, the issue with the Transparency Lock and the palette knife is probably related to the reason the Eraser doesn't erase to transparent when used on a transparency locked layer. From what I recall, they wanted to keep the work flow method similar to that of Photoshop, which pulls the color of the background layer up, rather then making it transparent.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Maybe this will work:
    1. Click on the menu tab for the layer with the paint.
    2. Select the New Stencil From Layer Contents option for the menu.
    3. Blend the colors as needed.
    This still behaves the same. But if you unlock layer transparency it won't drag the canvas colour, but it will drag the tranparency which is just as undesirable.

This can only really work if you can set a layer mask where you can paint larger than the desire area. At a glance it doesn't look like you can do that in ArtRage.

From what I recall, they wanted to keep the work flow method similar to that of Photoshop, which pulls the colour of the background layer up, rather then making it transparent.
    I see. My canvas was transparent, but transparent-white. If I change it to red it does pull red through. It's hard to imagine this is an effect that would be frequently desired.

This has really stumped me. I can't see a practical way around this that would allow me to continue my current project. I may be able to live with changing the canvas colour to the most desireable colour per layer I need to knife.

5. I've been having the same problem. No solution either here. Love to hear if someone has one. It's quite the pain in the gluteus maximus.

No solution, but I kinda get why it does what it does. To work how I intend, it would have to assume an infinite amount of paint at the edges of the transparent area. That would be the only way to stop the paint being pulled away from the edge.

Hi all
    I find the issue occurs when using the transparency lock icon to mask transparency but not if I use a selection marquee to preserve the transparency instead.

The easiest way to do this is to grab the wand selection tool and set it up as in the attached image.
    Click the transparent area on your layer.
    From the Edit menu choose Invert Selection or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL-Shift-I (pc) or Command-Shift-I (Mac). This will invert the selection from having the transparency selected to having the area that isn't transparent selected.
    Blend with knife.
    I've found this technique will work on both hardedged paint areas or soft edges (like airbrush)
    Hopes this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 04-16-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

8. Juz, that kinda works, but with the wet blender you still get white (or the color of the canvas?) getting blended in...albeit less than without the selection inverse.

The wet blender adds opacity levels that will always reveal the underlying paint layers/canvas colour. If you export out a single layer with a wet blend on it to a .png by right clicking the layer and choosing 'Export Layer' ... when you open that .png file in photoshop or gimp you will see the blend is actually blending to transparent for that layer.

Depending on what you're doing you may need to paint an underlying colour layer so the tansparency reveals more the shade you're looking for. Duplicating the layer you're blending may help in some instances.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 04-17-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    ... but not if I use a selection marquee to preserve the transparency instead.
    I think you'll find this is the same as setting a stencil.

It occured to me that what I'm really looking for is a traditional "mask". I.e. a mask to hide what would otherwise be visible. That way the colour could be blended from the invisible area.

You can kinda replicate this by painting a large area than required then trimming it back with a stencil, but having to see that larger area until it's trimmed means you can't properly see contrasting effects with other layers.

But I get that that may not be something we'll see in ArtRage since it doesn't fit with the idea of replicating the process of painting.