ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you create your own brushes?

Can you create your own brushes?

I was wondering if you can create your own brushes in Artrage. Can you specify things like tip and size and all that? I'm trying a demo version right now and there is not much variety there. Do you have to buy the software before the program will let you create brushes?
    Last edited by 357mag; 04-11-2010 at 08:02 AM.

ArtRage Studio has a tool called the Sticker Spray, which can be used like a bitmap brush. You'll need to get ArtRage Studio Pro to create your own stickers to use with it though. The styles you get can vary quit a bit, depending on the Sticker sheet you use and how you change the variations on the Variations panel. To get a good idea of the variety of effects you can get with the Sticker Spray, please watch this video I made demonstrating all of the presets I have created for the tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eyle6nGCI

I've attached some screen shots of some of my personal sticker creations to the bottom of this post, as well. You'll see a couple that take on the type of look one would expect from a Photoshop bitmap brush (NOTE: You can even upload Photoshop brushes for use with the Sticker Spray tool now).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sticksandstones.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	44099

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystickers2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	44100
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

So if you can make all these funky effects like painting with a leaf and all that then I should be able to create some filberts and flats and rounds?

Maybe, is all I can offer. I can't know exactly what effect you want, so I can't say for sure you'll get there with the tool. All I can guarantee is the possibility of being able to create similar effects to those I've already shown.

Allow me to clarify a little more. I'm into traditional painting. I'm not into painting with grass or leaves or nails or any of that funky stuff. All I would need is to be able to use filberts, flats, and rounds like a traditional oil painter does.

But there does not seem to be much available in the demo version. I can change the size of the brush but not much else. I don't want to buy the program to find out all I have is one oil brush to work with.

The Oil Brush in ArtRage Studio Pro has a Square head option, but if you're looking for a fan brush, or something similar, you'll be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
    Allow me to clarify a little more. I'm into traditional painting. I'm not into painting with grass or leaves or nails or any of that funky stuff. All I would need is to be able to use filberts, flats, and rounds like a traditional oil painter does.

But there does not seem to be much available in the demo version. I can change the size of the brush but not much else. I don't want to buy the program to find out all I have is one oil brush to work with.
    I do not come from a traditional painting background, so please forgive my ignorance.

What is the difference in use among filberts, flats, and rounds?
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Brushes

Just a note if you are still interested. The newest version, ArtrageStudio Pro has a multitude of brushes, thickness, size, etc. You can adjust the amount of thinner, type of paper surface or canvas, the amount of paint picked up and the general thickness of the paint. This means you can copy thick impasto styles but also watercolors, complete with saturated paper surfaces. The pressure part is only possible at a constant rate (only drawback), unless you use a digital tablet which will register pressure. I often use the palette knife, which smears paint nicely, just like in real life, and also the inking pen feature, which can be made into a calligraphy thingy so it is wide until you turn it, mimicing the motion of a flat brush perfectly.

This package is worth every penny if you are used to traditional art tools. Hope you go with it, I enjoy it immensely. Plus, the time and materials saved makes it so that you only really do the most fun parts and with no cost!

A multitude of brushes? I can't imagine Artrage coming with as many brushes as say Corel Painter which is a professional program that costs over $300.00. But the demo version just gives you one brush. You can change the size of course but you still have just one brush type. I would like some rounds, some flats, and perhaps some filberts.

All I can really say is to have a good look around to see what people are really doing with the program, because regardless of which program a person uses (at least at this stage in computer art), the program will never truly respond like natural media or offer every possible tool an artist may consider essential. There's always going to have to be a compromise. You can have a look at the gallery here, but I'd suggest going to DeviantArt and doing a search, because they have a feature to sort by a "Popular" criteria.