ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow Bridge -- Lake Powell

Rainbow Bridge -- Lake Powell

"Spanning 275 feet, the Rainbow Bridge is the largest natural bridge in the world. It was formed by the action of Bridge Creek as it flowed down from the Navajo Mountain Gradually, an amazing sandstone arch was formed. The Paiute and Navajo tribes named the bridge Nonnezoshe which means “rainbow turned to stone." For centuries, the Rainbow Bridge was considered a sacred spot by the Native American tribes who inhabited the area." -- Wikipedia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rainbowbridgeARsm.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	44036  
    Last edited by alkratzer; 04-09-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Very pretty. I can feel a mystical aura in your picture.

I am really enjoying your lovely colourful art. Your pieces are really uplifting. I was inspired, by you, to try something similar the other day, and found it hard. Despite intending to create a cheery colourful piece mine ended up quite dark - I shall keep practising.

Thats a real fantasy painting AL, lovely colours to start the day
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

I like very much this painting too, so vibrant of sun energy as well as the poetic name given to this arch by the Navajos!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Bright colors

Reminds me of the sixties, like it would glow under a black light! Beautiful use of colors.

Thanks Magen -- it is still considered a sacred spot to many traditional Navajo and Utes -- and they do not care for the idea that it is visited by thousands of tourists each year who arrive by boat ever since Lake Powell was created by damming the Colorado River in 1963.

Shasha -- Thanks so much for the kind words. Best of luck in your painting. I have found it easiest to keep the colors bright in ArtRage by using chalk and pallet knife. Oil and watercolor often darken up on me as I add layers.

Coops -- The southwestern landscape is full of improbable rock formations and vistas -- it is a fantasy world even without me helping the colors along. Thank you.

Caesar -- It is wonderful how a poetic phrase about a place can help spark your imagination! Thanks for your ongoing support of my efforts. It is much appreciated!

Sandra -- I'm so glad you liked this -- My original thought was to paint the arch in rainbow colors, but then decided to use the colors across the entire piece. probably could have added a bit of pure green, but it is the one color you rarely see during high summer in the desert.

Mary Lou -- The day-glow poster of an American flag with the stars arranged as a peace sign that I had under a black-light in my bedroom as a kid growing up in the 60s is permanently burned into my retinas. Thanks for your comment!

Al, it looks to me like the desert in the morning,
    I actually saw this bridge in photos and I know it,
    you did go further from the reality,
    very nice !
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Thanks Dany, you have a good eye and memory! Here's the photo I took when I visited Lake Powell in 1997. It was the reference for my painting. I'll let you and the others decide if the distortion of reality you see is the result of my overactive imagination or my substandard abilities at drawing... Al
    Attached Images Attached Images