ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Halftones

Halftones

Okay so, I need good halftone patterns. I love to use them, but the problem is I can't find deasant ones anywhere. So, share your halftone pictures for stenciling and I'll be SO grateful!

I've uploaded some of the ones I made to my Photobucket account (was easier to upload this way). You'll find them here: LINK
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi,

I've been doing some tests using a simple dot image as a canvas texture. Changing the Grain size for the texture, one can change the halftone size (as seen in the following image).

Name:  tests.jpg
Views: 4236
Size:  69.2 KB

Just save and load the image below as a canvas grain, set the Roughness option up 100%, invert the grain (click on the plus sign next to the Roughness dial) and change the Grain size to whatever is required.

Here's the grain: => Name:  halftone_grain.png
Views: 1546
Size:  191 Bytes <=
    Yes, that little teeny dot is what you want to save, lol

I prefer using the crayon to create the fills. You might need to play with the pressure settings a bit, depending on your tablet settings or if you're using a mouse.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Thank you so SO much for your effort. I will use especially the solids the next time I create something "comicy" with ar.
    Btw, does anybody have a glue how to delete all the grain etc from Ar canvas? Just plain white with no roughness whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLotus View Post
    Thank you so SO much for your effort.
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLotus View Post
    Btw, does anybody have a clue how to delete all the grain etc from Ar canvas? Just plain white with no roughness whatsoever.

I have a feeling this question is based on getting the halftone bumps off of the canvas when using the halftone texture. You can have any canvas style you'd like and still work with the halftone as a layer texture. I'll try to answer both questions though, just in case.

> For a smooth canvas:

1. To begin, do one of the following:
      1. Start a New Painting or...
      2. Click the Layer menu tab on the Layer panel (the small square with four horizontal lines at the lower right of the panel) and select the Canvas Settings option.

2. With the Canvas Settings panel opened, locate the "Roughness" option and set it's dial to 0%.

It should be noted that removing the 3D lighting that ArtRage uses results in a similar effect, except that it will also remove any texture that might be visible when using tools like the Oil Brush. To see what I mean, clicking on the light bulb icon tab on the Canvas Setting panel will remove the lighting (F5 is the default shortcut I believe).

> To keep a canvas grain present, but still use the Halftone texture:
    NOTE: If you haven't already made a canvas preset for the halftone grain, I'd recommend making one now, because getting a grain to use for a layer texture without having it is a bit cumbersome.
    1. Click the Layer menu tab on the Layer panel (the small square with four horizontal lines at the lower right of the panel) and select the Edit Layer Texture option.
    2. With the Layer Texture Panel open, locate the grain texture you want to use (in this case it will be the halftone texture). Now this is where you'll run into the "cumbersome" area I noted above. If you have the halftone saved as a canvas preset already, it's as easy as just clicking on the preset (and for those of you that do, you can now skip to the step where you see the following symbol:). If you don't, you'll have to follow along with these next steps:
      1. If you need to import the grain, first click on the "Paper Grain" panel (read below for location).
        • The grain panel is located above the Roughness dial and is the one on the right hand side (NOTE: it does not indicate that it is the "Paper Grain" panel, you'll just have to trust me).

2. After clicking on it, the "Paper Grain" panel will appear. Select the Group you'd like to add the grain too (or create one of your own) and then click on the "Import Grain" button.
      3. Locate the halftone texture from your computer and click "Open" (or whatever your computer type asks when file browsing).
      4. With the texture imported as a Grain, select the Grain from the group you put it in and click "OK".

3. With the grain now selected, be sure that the "Roughness" and "Grain Size" dials are set to the level you'd like them at. For the halftone texture I'd recommend using a Roughness of 100%, but the Grain Size can be set to whatever size you feel like using.
    4. With this done, click "OK" to close the Layer Texture panel and accept the changes. Visually, you won't see any difference until you draw on that layer with a tool like the Crayon.

(EDIT) - After looking around at a few images that used halftones, I noticed that the dots are usually diagonally offset, so I made a couple more halftone grains for that. The only difference between the two here is the scale. Here they are:

Name:  test3a.png
Views: 1519
Size:  319 Bytes

Name:  test3b.png
Views: 1533
Size:  235 Bytes

It might not look like it here, but they do make a circle when used as a grain. And for those of you interested in true halftone effects, here's a link I found interesting: http://fhctech.org/fhc/imaging/halftone.htm
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-09-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Thank you--this is very useful!
    Cat Boxes, a web comic