ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage in Animation

Thumbs up ArtRage in Animation

I am an animator and I absolutely love ArtRage. It is SO much better than Photoshop. I crank out backgrounds with it.

My only wish for an improvement in ArtRage is to be able to player the layers in sequence as animation. If ArtRage had some way to convert layers to animation, every studio in Hollywood would buy it!

ArtRage is amazing but to be fair, it's so slow...
    Just show/hide layers will take you ages. And for animation, speed is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweedie View Post
    I use ArtRage for original backgrounds and characters and everything else. I animate it in AnimeStudio Pro. Since ArtRage produces png with transparency it it ideal to make original art for animation.

Making large backgrounds like 6000 or 10000 pixels wide for scrolling horizontal or vertical or zooming are no problems at all. I make many separate layers of pngs in Anime Studio for deep zoom. It is sometimes slow to render in Anime Studio, but its is not slow to paint in ArtRage. Not at all.
    Oh really? My computer cannot handle AR file bigger than A3 300dpi. It has 4G RAM and 2.3GHz CPU. If it is that fast then sure, AR would be the best.

Yes, the highest resolution needed at the moment is 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) if you're aiming for a full-screen HD animation. gb_whisper would need 12,600 pixels length for A3 at 300dpi! ArtRage will easily handle TV quality artworks for animating.

i honestly think AR should focus on what it does best... but for animation, if they are going to do it, here is where I think they could focus:

ANIMATICS/STORYBOARD making.

an animatic is an animated storyboard, that usually outlines only the general poses, positioning and timing of the characters. In order to achieve that, artrage would have to grow into a whole new product. There are not many good animatic apps out there. Toonboom storyboard has to be the best one, but it's very expensive.

That would make it even greater for conceptual art
    Last edited by blurymind; 05-12-2010 at 01:28 PM.

I'm finding that hooking ArtRage to be the picture editor mostly works, yet at Uni we have to use Flash (YUCK!!!!) for most beginner stuff.

However, another tool we're learning is called CeltX. Now I would love to have ArtRage as the Media tool that could somehow be called upon instead of loading the exported pics.

I'm loving my HP Slate and was a godsend for the past 2 weeks as I was laidup in hospital and could only do scribbles. Hey better than looking at the ceiling though with "that" much morphein.

If Animation was a feature to be added to ArtRage, I think something simple like the old Animation Shop (came with Paintshop Pro) would do the trick.

Simple tools like a keystroke to add & move to next layer. Or taking ideas from Animate, a key set to move back and forward between layers would be a boon for me as well on my Tablet.

Dear Hammination, thank you, great suggestion!!!!been trying for weeks to make little a little gif animation, years ago we used to down load little animations, weather, seasons, holidays ,,,, and add to email background, they looked so simple, am sure it would be nice to animate bigger projects but would settle for a simple animation tool in AR for now,,,best wishes, ps, Thanks for the video sample Sweedie!!! xox

Quote Originally Posted by Sweedie View Post
    If you animate there is no need for 300 dpi. That is for printout... I am used to 96 dpi for animation (native screen resolution), it's enough. A3 at 96 dpi makes 1625 x 1096 px.

This simple animation was made out of ArtRage art. 24 fps. One background layer at 1000 x 3000 pixels. Pal format (720 x 576). 96 dpi
    Why the 96 dpi resolution? Is it some sort of standard in the animation industry?

I noticed that the resolution for your BG is fairly high. I find that most drawing and painting programs show better results at higher resolutions even if the final work won't be viewed at the original dpi. This includes Artrage. Lines are crisper, shading/coloring is more subtle, and detail is just plain easier to accomplish. The pressure sensitivity of the various Wacom tools is much easier to control at higher resolutions as well. Isn't the same is essentially true for animation?

I used ArtRage in animation quite a while ago:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/474831

Another very short one over here: http://niffiwan.deviantart.com/art/C...no-2-109333597

The actual animation was with the old Flash MX, which doesn't allow for morphing of raster images (which would make things look even matter).