ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: genius v wacom

genius v wacom

To date I have only 'created' using real-life materials, so I am brand new to the world of digital art. I have decided that I want to create posters/pictures etc for my teaching.

ArtRage seems to fit the bill in terms of being able to achieve the graphics I want to produce etc. Now, how to actually create. I have played a bit and am terribly frustrated with using a mouse. Does it get easier? From what I have learned so far, the only alternative appears to be a stylus with a graphics tablet. At the moment I want the cheapest possible option that won't end up frustrating me or putting me off. Something I can learn on until I decide where this is going to take me - if anywhere.

I live in Dubai so do have limited availability. I know that I can get an A4 size Genius graphic tablet and a Wacom Bamboo Fun. The Genius would cost me about $250USD and the Bamboo Fun about $190USD. Which would you choose?

There are very occasionally 2nd hand options. Would you ever buy 2nd hand?

What did you start out with when making the transition and do you have any cost efficient tips for the starter?

Thank you for any help
    Last edited by shasha; 04-05-2010 at 11:46 PM.

I am no expert but I have been happy with the Wacom Bamboo touch & Pen. You can use touch & gestures to zoom and move the canvas, like the iphone. It is simple to use with the pen and is not over featured. I tried the Wacom Intuos 4 but the Bamboo is smaller and has less features -- it keeps it simple and I have yet to find that I need much more.

I've thought about getting an iMac to use as display. That of course is not the same as having Cintiq, but I , like you, cannot yet justify the cost.
    Janet

Thank you...

Janet. I have edited my post quite heavily as I found the answers to quite a few of my questions. I haven't found a bamboo touch here, but have heard mention of bamboo fun being available. I need to research the difference a bit more.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond

I love my tablet, a small Wacom Bamboo, which costs $50-70 USD.

The pros: it is very durable (I've dropped mine a couple of times); it is small enough that I can park it just about anywhere and start drawing; the tablet has a nice feel to it and is enjoyable to work with; while it is not as sensitive as the higher-end models, I find it certainly adequate for my needs.

The cons: small drawing area (5.8"x3.7"); not as many functions--e.g. no tilt/rotation, no multi-touch, limited button programmability; not as many levels of pressure sensitivity (although that hasn't bothered me).

I will say that the pros, for me, far outweigh the cons, and you can't go wrong with this as a starter tablet, especially if you are planning on using it with a classful of sticky-fingered 6-year olds .
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Thanks for replying Terry. My little sticky fingers have a lovely big Interactive whiteboard in our classroom to work on so they will not be touching mine!

I dont see myself needing something mobile, though would be fun to take something like this instead of a sketchbook on holidays. I haven't seen the wacom bamboo here, but will start putting feelers out.

Thanks very much for your post - very helpful