ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Color Picker

Color Picker

Hi,

My color picker looks normal whenever I start up ArtRage and get to work on a new painting, but when I load up a saved painting, it displays "Auto" in the collapsed state. This doesn't seem to affect the behavior of colors or the picker, so it's not serious, but it kinda bugs me! It's the same for every painting, including very simple ones with one layer and no tracing/reference images.

I am using SP 3.0.6 on Windows 7, Intel Duo @ 2.13GHz.

The Auto tag normally indicates that a tracing image has been loaded and that colours are being automatically selected from it. There have been a couple of reports of the Auto tag appearing incorrectly but we haven't been able to track it down yet. Does it happen if you start ArtRage and just collapse the colour picker, or does it only happen after a tracing image has been loaded, even if you then clear the image or create a new painting?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure if this is how it's happening for everyone, but I've recently discovered how I can get the "AUTO" text to appear without loading a tracing image. Here's what I do:
    1. Open ArtRage and create a new document
      • this step is to ensure that you don't have any tracing image already opened
    2. Save the newly created document as .ptg file
    3. Close any instances of ArtRage you may have open
    4. Do not reopen ArtRage via the regular desktop icon. Instead, locate your newly saved .ptg file and double click it (this should automatically open ArtRage for you)
    At this point the saved file will appear, but the color samples pod will (if the bug is consistent between us all) have the "AUTO" text preset. I can make a video demonstrating this if it would help. I'm using Windows Vista 64.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Does it happen if you start ArtRage and just collapse the colour picker, or does it only happen after a tracing image has been loaded, even if you then clear the image or create a new painting?

The former; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with tracing images.

Here is a trial I did to reproduce the error:

1. With no instances of ArtRage currently running, started ArtRage. See first screenshot.

(From previous experience I can safely say that the Color Picker is still normal at this stage.)

2. Saved painting using default settings. Screenshot 2.

3. Without exiting, opened the same painting. Immediately collapsed the color picker. Voila! Screenshot 3.

(Note: I always start ArtRage from a shortcut in my Taskbar. This is because Windows Installer insists on butting in when I double-click on a painting. )

edit: If after step 3 I then select File: New Painting, the "Auto" message clears itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by terrygillooly; 04-04-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    (This is because Windows Installer insists on butting in when I double-click on a painting. )
    It's probably because you removed one or more of the default resource files from the programs folder (a sticker, stencil, preset, etc). I have the same issue when I try to get rid of one of the default items. I let the installer do it's thing and put up with having the excess items there, rather then having to deal with not being able to click on the ptg files.

Thanks for posting those steps, I can reproduce it here now and I'll get on to fixing it. We also have a fix for the problem of the app trying to reinstall after files are moved, that will be wrapped in to our next update.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We also have a fix for the problem of the app trying to reinstall after files are moved, that will be wrapped in to our next update.

Nice! Really been looking forward to hearing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    It's probably because you removed one or more of the default resource files from the programs folder (a sticker, stencil, preset, etc).
    I don't think so--I haven't changed anything in the Programs folder.

It may be because 2.5 SE was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I let the installer do it's thing and put up with having the excess items there, rather then having to deal with not being able to click on the ptg files.
    Ha, since double-clicking doesn't work for me anyway I might as well jettison some of the resources I never use.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic